Weekly Update
On Friday, one of my former reading students ran by me and snapped my brastrap and ran away. I was too shocked to react, so I never got around doing anything about it other than referring him for counseling... I mean, really, what 7-year-old goes around snapping teacher's bras? Weird.
*****
I went to another wedding with Alex this weekend, and this time, although I drank plenty, I did not insult his boss. In fact, A told me that I am "a big hit with everyone." I like to hear good things about myself, and this made me feel way happy.
But then. Then I met his mom last night.
She was nice enough. Just, the two of them have been fighting a little lately, and I found out that it is because he has dropped off the face of the earth since "oh, about the beginning of August." This is precisely the time when he and I started dating, and I'm pretty sure she realizes this and that it was a jab at me as much as it was at him.
Way to start off with the great first impressions.
*****
I was asked today if I would work full-time for the afterschool program in my building. I had been subbing for them here and there, and then I got a regular position for only 1/2 hour per day until the regular teacher got there, but now they have rearranged things and someone quit, and so now I'll be working an extra 3 hours per day. The downside to this is, of course, the extra work, and the fact that I will have no time to prepare my classroom the night before (and will therefore have to go in even earlier). The upside, however, outweighs this by approximately the payment of my entire rent check. I'll be really freaking tired, but at least I won't be so poor anymore.
*****
Kid-Bit
While crouching next to SWNSS's desk, helping him with some work.
Me: Why is your desk all wet?
SWNSS: Oh, because from when I washed my hands. And also, I got poop on my sleeve, so I had to wash that off too.
Me: [walking over to the antibacterial gel] Um. Oh.
GremlinKid: What, from a dog?
SWNSS: No. From me. And my butt was bleeding.
Me: Okay, this is inappropriate for school. If you are having a problem, you need to tell your mom.
SWNSS: It's because I have trouble pooping. I need to eat more pears. [To GremlinKid:] Pears help you poop, you know.
Damn, this job is glamorous.
*****
I went to another wedding with Alex this weekend, and this time, although I drank plenty, I did not insult his boss. In fact, A told me that I am "a big hit with everyone." I like to hear good things about myself, and this made me feel way happy.
But then. Then I met his mom last night.
She was nice enough. Just, the two of them have been fighting a little lately, and I found out that it is because he has dropped off the face of the earth since "oh, about the beginning of August." This is precisely the time when he and I started dating, and I'm pretty sure she realizes this and that it was a jab at me as much as it was at him.
Way to start off with the great first impressions.
*****
I was asked today if I would work full-time for the afterschool program in my building. I had been subbing for them here and there, and then I got a regular position for only 1/2 hour per day until the regular teacher got there, but now they have rearranged things and someone quit, and so now I'll be working an extra 3 hours per day. The downside to this is, of course, the extra work, and the fact that I will have no time to prepare my classroom the night before (and will therefore have to go in even earlier). The upside, however, outweighs this by approximately the payment of my entire rent check. I'll be really freaking tired, but at least I won't be so poor anymore.
*****
Kid-Bit
While crouching next to SWNSS's desk, helping him with some work.
Me: Why is your desk all wet?
SWNSS: Oh, because from when I washed my hands. And also, I got poop on my sleeve, so I had to wash that off too.
Me: [walking over to the antibacterial gel] Um. Oh.
GremlinKid: What, from a dog?
SWNSS: No. From me. And my butt was bleeding.
Me: Okay, this is inappropriate for school. If you are having a problem, you need to tell your mom.
SWNSS: It's because I have trouble pooping. I need to eat more pears. [To GremlinKid:] Pears help you poop, you know.
Damn, this job is glamorous.


5 Comments:
GAH.
And EW.
His mom seriously said that? Wow. That's totally inappropriate. His MOM is jealous of you.
Hooray for instability!
Ack, how awkward of his mother...are you sure that she wasn't being sarcastic...playful? maybe? Because THAT would be ok then. A "You know, J., that Alex has abandoned me since the beginning of August. It seems he's moved on to better"...that while still awkward, would have been so much better.
And your kids...well. Pears, huh?
Oh man, those mothers and their sons...don't get me started...
I. LOVE. your. students.
=)
i am glad to hear that you and alex are becoming such experienced wedding-attenders. this way, you will be fully prepared to grace us with your presence next july!! :)
bf's mom's are the enemy. even if they are really great and you both love each other. don't worry about it; he picked you, he didn't pick her. so there!
i am now off to find antibacterial gel after reading your post.
Claire - Um. Yeah. Hooray!...
Christine - Yeah, it would have been better that way... A is now swearing that she didn't make the comment about me... but whatev.
And yeah... I always go for the traditional prunes... but whatev.
Nikol - Hm... You want them???
Janie - Now I know what to get you for your wedding...
Post a Comment
<< Home