Monday, September 25, 2006

Weekend Banter: WARNING! Boredom Ahead!

This weekend went by way too quickly, and I am mourning it's passing and couting down the days until the next. Not for nothing, the weekend was profitable.

My friend K's dad owns a garden center (I'd say "nursery," but then you might think "day care," so I'm saving you the humiliation by being more literal.), and once in awhile they have events for kids. These are mostly to get the parents in the store and shopping, but they are also good publicity, and since I am a teacher, I get to be in on it/earn some extra cash. During the summer, I went there and taught a lesson about the life cycle of a butterfly. We did a craft, and there was a butterfly release, and the whole thing went smashingly, if I do say so myself, and there was lots of praise from all the ritzy ditzy RichTown parents.

This weekend, they had a Fall Festival. There was carnival food, a hay jump inside a blow-up haunted house, face painting, a petting zoo, and my station- pumpkin painting. It's a good thing I was running the station with my more OCD* friend, N, because I spent stolen moments decorating my own pumpkins, while she walked back and forth to the sink emptying out dirty paint cups.

My creations:


Is it obvious that I was a fan of the foam circle brushes?

* One does not need to be very OCD to be considered more OCD than me when it comes to cleaning, but still.

*****

Saturday night, my friend and I went to see Aerosmith. They are on tour with Mötley Crüe, which meant nothing to me, as I am so unfamiliar with Mötley Crüe, I had to look them up just now to see where to put the the little over-letter-dot-thingies*

While sitting and waiting for Aero to come on, the guy next to me, who happened to be about in his 40s decided to strike up a conversation. It turned out we both grew up in the same town, so we discussed some of the older high school teachers and town landmarks. I kept it totally friendly. I'm not sure, then, why he later decided to high five me, poke me in the stomach, butt-bump me, and push me across the lawn with his head in my back like a bull. At different times throughout the night. While I was completely ignoring him.

Also funny:
  • My friend's sister pushing some jumpking drunk girl away from her, stating "You need to MOVE."
  • Me grabbing a guy's hand when it looked like it was about to grab my friend's boob, pushing it into his chest, and stating over and over, "Bye! Bye! Buh bye!"
Downside of the night:

Aerosmith sucked. The three of us have seen them several times before. While I'm not like the biggest Aero fan ever in the world (I don't really get that into bands like that anymore), I do like a bunch of their songs, and every once in awhile pop in one of their Best Of CDs. The reason we keep going to their concerts is because usually they play such a kick-ass show**, mixing lots of old, popular songs in with the newer ones. Once, they even came up through the audience to play a few songs on a smaller stage on the lawn (the venue is an amphitheater, so it was like we had front-row seats for lawn-seat prices.

This time, however, they only seemed to be on the stage for a little over an hour, they only played 4 songs we knew, and, for real, they didn't play an encore. Who the eff doesn't play an encore? We felt totally ripped off, which is never a good feeling when you are sitting in concert parking lot traffic at a stand-still for an hour.

* Technical term
** It seems that "kick-ass" is always a proper description for good music.


*****

My Sunday was way uneventful. I slept until 10 or so, watched more Veronica Mars, Alex came over around noon, and we went shopping until 4:30. I tell you, as bad as I am when I walk into a store, what with the wandering around like I actually have no eyes, my face turning every which way, and my hands blindly sweeping things into my cart-- Alex is about the same, if not worse. Put the two of us together, and a trip into Target to pick up "a Rubbermaid wash basin*" turns into a 2-hour affair upon which hundreds are spent. This also happens when I run into the grocery store to pick up "a couple of things"... but I digress.

By the time we finished in Target, I had to run home and grab some laundry- exactly 5 shirts, 5 pants, and a few handfulls of underwear- and head to my parents' house, where I've been washing my clothes since I moved out. Now I have 4 shirts left, and am praying that no occasion pops up that requires me to wear something other than my school polo and some khakis.

And that was my weekend. Which ended too soon. Unlike this post.

* Among the resons for which Alex finds me totally weird, one of them is that I was searching out a particular brand of huge bowl in which to soak my feet. That's right friends. I am not using this wash basin to rinse out my delicates, but rather, to keep my feet from getting all cracked and nasty during the winter. P.S. Avon's Foot Works Conditioning Foot Soak, and its accompanying moisturizers are the shizzy. I'm not a huge Avon buyer or anything, but I got a Foot Works gift set one Hanukkah, and have been an advocate ever since. And yes. I just said "shizzy."

5 Comments:

Blogger claire said...

Oooh. Fancy pumpkins!

Funny about the Aerosmith concert (i imagine you saw them at PNC - that lawn thing is always a gamble because it totally SUCKS when it rains). I'm not a huge fan of them either, but i've seen them twice because they really do put on a good show. I didn't see them this year because i could give a shit about Motley Crue.

But that's really odd that they didn't play for that long. My friend at work saw them at Jones Beach; i'll have to see if they jipped them at that show, too. Incidently, i thought the Nine-Lives tour was the best. Just my opinion.

8:33 AM  
Blogger claire said...

Update:
Work-friend says they played for about an hour, then came back to do about a 1/2 hour's worth of encore.

Also, apparently, Steven Tyler just came out that he has Hepatitis C.
Coincidence? Hmmm...

9:24 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

HA. I was totally contemplated buying a large basin to soak my feet, especially since the other day I was trying to get Anth to soak his toe in peroxide and water (he cut it.) and we had nothing.

OH, and yes, I would love to come to dinner on Friday.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Janie said...

i would love to come to dinner on friday too!!! pick me! pick me!

well, i'm sorry the concert sucked, but i'm glad you went... or else what would i have laughed about this morning?!

2:16 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Claire - I went in Camden... and you might be able to say there was an encore, except that they like disappeared, and we all just thought it was a break and so no one used their lighters or anything and then they just came back and played again and the whole thing was so short, it didn't even deserve an encore. Hmph.

Christine - Alex was getting frustrated that just any big old tub wasn't good enough... he showed me quite a few plastic shoeboxes.

Janie - You are also invited! Yeah, the concert was a good time, even if the music wasn't so good.

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home