I don't even feel bad...
... about not blogging as much now that I'm teaching again, because half of you aren't blogging all that frequently lately, either, and well, a couple of you aren't even blogging at all. And since really, it's just been going to work, coming home and doing more work (while watching Season 2 of Veronica Mars on DVD or Some Other Random DVR'd Show), and going out to eat and then laying around and watching TV and getting fat with Alex, I don't have all that much to say. Sorry all, because here we go with Teacher Blog, version 2006-2007 School Year.
Friday:
For Social Skills (a subject which is only part of the BD curriculum), I had my kids to Me Books. The heading on one of the pages was "This is what I am most proud of:" (I'm not sure that this is a grammatically correct sentence, as it ends with the word "of," but I got it out of an idea book, and their parents sure as hell won't know the difference anyway, so leave me alone.)
In a tender teaching moment, I see that one of my students drew a picture of himself sitting at his des with a big smile, and me standing next to him saying, "Great job, StudentR!" Since he drew stick figures, I commented to him, "R! Thanks for making me so skinny in that picture!" Laughing hysterically to that, he turned around and said to the class, "I drew Miss B. skinny!!!" I respond, "Hey, R, it's not that funny, okay?!"
To which StudentJ (who you may remember from previous entries as TheBiter, or StudentWithNoSocialSkills) responds, "Well, you are a little chubby..."
And that's where I probably should have done a social skills lesson on When It's Better To Say Nothing Than To Tell The Truth...
Friday:
For Social Skills (a subject which is only part of the BD curriculum), I had my kids to Me Books. The heading on one of the pages was "This is what I am most proud of:" (I'm not sure that this is a grammatically correct sentence, as it ends with the word "of," but I got it out of an idea book, and their parents sure as hell won't know the difference anyway, so leave me alone.)
In a tender teaching moment, I see that one of my students drew a picture of himself sitting at his des with a big smile, and me standing next to him saying, "Great job, StudentR!" Since he drew stick figures, I commented to him, "R! Thanks for making me so skinny in that picture!" Laughing hysterically to that, he turned around and said to the class, "I drew Miss B. skinny!!!" I respond, "Hey, R, it's not that funny, okay?!"
To which StudentJ (who you may remember from previous entries as TheBiter, or StudentWithNoSocialSkills) responds, "Well, you are a little chubby..."
And that's where I probably should have done a social skills lesson on When It's Better To Say Nothing Than To Tell The Truth...


3 Comments:
Ha. R. You aren't chubby. Or at least you aren't any chubbier (?) than I am. Especially since Anth and I are also very good at laying around trying to get fat.
Oh, kids. aren't they the cutest? with their absolutely filterless train of thought?
Love that about kids. Makes me want piles of them.
hm, yes, it is tough to teach children the greatness of being voluptuous and the evils of being scrawny.
Post a Comment
<< Home