Monday, March 06, 2006

Things About Today...

... that weren't that exciting and don't require full entries all to themselves:
  • I decided to be healthy this morning and order a whole wheat bagel with lite cream cheese. It tasted like baby cereal.
  • I am still sick and have been on a continuing cycle of DayQuil and NyQuil. Today I added some Excedrin Sinus Headache into the mix, just to keep things interesting.
  • I get excited when songs I hear coincide with whatever is going on right at that moment. For example, once I was just finishing up a really hard workout when Ain't No Mountain High Enough came on my iPod. Today, just as I was entering my school's parking lot, Welcome to the Jungle came on the radio.
  • I won the Perfect Attendance lottery for February, so for the month of March I get to park in a special reserved parking spot! I think I'll take a day off this week.
*****

After assigning pairs of students to play math games together:

Student With No Social Skills:
Um. No thank you. I don't want to.
Me: Why not? You've played this game before. You liked it.
SWNSS: Um. Because. I'm not really much used to black people.
Black Student With More Developed Social Skills: He just said he don't like black people!!! What'd I do? What'd I do??
Me: [to BSWMDSS:] He didn't say he doesn't like black people. He said he isn't used to them. [to SWNSS:] There are all types of people, and you need to get "used" to all of them-- black people, white people, young people, old people...
SWNSS: I'm not very much used to old people either. That means I really wouldn't be used to old black people!

*****
And something about Friday:

As I stood out on the playground, I looked toward a far corner and laid eyes on five 3rd graders taking turns kicking each other in the balls. And they weren't my kids! I looked at their teacher and said, "there's something going on over there you might wanna take care of." And then I watched my kids go the wrong way on the slide.

7 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

That's crazy. I don't know how I would have handled that situation. Did they end up playing the math game ok anyhow?

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still not used to idiots and do not play well with them.

Ahhh...the NyQuil/DayQuil cocktail. I'm still looking forward to that little high this flu season.

12:37 PM  
Blogger anika said...

DayQuil & NyQuil sometimes are the icing on the I'm-sick-give-me-drugs-now cake.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Christine - they played the math game just fine. SWNSS's mom is from Mississippi. That should explain most of it.

Whinger & Anika - It's just not doing the trick... I go for the antibiotics tomorrow!

6:52 PM  
Blogger Janie said...

good girl! way to take it up a notch! (if you decide to continue with the lower caste drugs, might i suggest tylenol cold and flu, equally effective as the quils, but cheaper!)

perhaps you should use your stellar skills to help the other teacher with the "normal" kids!

7:13 PM  
Blogger Shari said...

I'm a going the wrong way on the slide type of gal. It's the equivalant of kicking the rules in the balls, but discretely and without the screaming.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Janie - I have graduated to amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium. I have no idea what that means, and I don't really care as long as it makes me feel better. And thanks for the price check- my "quils" are actually store brand ;o)

Shari - I've been a Follow-the-Rules kinda girl since birth... actually, that's not true. My mom's obstetrician told her not to have me on April 21st because he'd be in a marathon that day. That was the last time I broke a rule.

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home