Thursday, February 23, 2006

Back in the Bubble

So you know how I had that issue with that one song? Well it turns out I've got issues with others too. For example:
  • 100 Years by Five For Fighting - "You only got 100 years to live" - I probably won't even live that long, and I'm already almost 25. That's 25 cents of a dollar life (relating all numbers to money is a teacher trick)!
  • Breathe (2 a.m.) by Anna Nalick* - "Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" - ohmygodohmygodohmygod I'm running out OF TIIIIIIME!!!!
  • Last Resort by Papa Roach** - "Suffocation, no breathing, don't give a fuck if I cut my arms bleeding" - Suffocation?! No breathing?! BLEEDING?!?! Someone please hand me a paper bag to wheeze into...
I typically never listen to angry/sad/lost-love/depressing/slightly-depressing-whatsoever music because it gets me all anxious. I'm sure there are many other songs that give me butterflies, but these are the ones I can think of now. Does this happen to any of you? Guys? Am I alone here?

* I just commented about my distaste for this song on Sundry's blog, so if you happened to catch that comment... um yeah. I plagerized myself.

** The only thing that saves me from taking advice from this song is that usually I hear it in Bobbi and Marty Culp's voices. You know- from Saturday Night Live. Two friends and I have the entire skit/song medley memorized from the episode before the Gore/Bush election. Sad but true.

3 Comments:

Blogger claire said...

ohmygod, i so totally do.
I have a problem with that '100 Years' song, too; it freaks me out. I start thinking about how i've only got so long and these years are just going to fly by and now, i'm 25 sure, but soon i'm gonna be 30 and then i'm going to go straight to 70 and then what? I'm so not gonna make it past 75, i just know it.

When i was a kid listening to mom's oldies stations, the song "In the Year 2525" (1969 by Zager and Evans. thanks, google) used to scare the crap out of me. I'm not goign to be here in 2525...or the year 3535. oh god. where am i going to be? i'm going to be dead! but where's that?!

So yes. I get it.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

Um, I don't necessarily share in the anxiety over songs...it's more like the 100 years to live song annoys the crap out of me.

Also, Bobbi and Marty Culp (and not to mix references, but...) = Good times. Do you remember what the skit/song was called? I must find it for TonyToneToni, since I was singing it the other day, and he was confused.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, well, I think that ALL of the music, sadly, falls into the Jess-disapproved catagorie. Not that you all are surprised. Well, some of my favorites are more about longing, but that sort of matches my mood (forever and always) and really technically isn't negative...just hopeful, but not necessarily happy. Hey, life sucks, and I like to croon along with those who feel the same as I do. Or worse, because then I feel better.

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home