Monday, January 16, 2006

Inside the Bubble (or, Just a Short Rant)

I was really a fan of that James Blunt song “You’re Beautiful” before I paid attention to the lyrics. Because before I listened to the lyrics, I thought it was about a guy who saw a girl on a train and didn’t have the guts to introduce himself and then just kept thinking about her and how beautiful she was and how he should have gotten her digits. And that’s sad, and usually I hate things about sad stuff and I change the radio whenever a slow song comes on and I won’t watch movies that don’t have happy endings. But I liked the song anyway because although it was sad, I liked to think that maybe one day he’d actually bump into her on the street or in the bookstore and realize it was her and since he didn’t ask her for her number before, and it bothered him enough to write a song about it, surely he would ask for it this next time!

But then I actually paid attention to the lyrics, and that’s not what it’s about. I mean, it’s sort of about that, but mostly it’s about how he saw her on a train, but she was with her boyfriend, and they shared a look, and although he realizes he will never be with her, it doesn’t bother him (Oh yeah, right, you wrote a song about it dude. It bothers you.) because they “shared a moment that will last ‘til the end.” And that just makes me angry because she has a boyfriend and now James believes she will just be secretly thinking about him forever. What if I was on a train and Boyfriend (um, you know, the one I don’t have) “shared a moment” with some chick, and while I was thinking he was in love with me, he was actually pining for TrainWhore? I find the whole thing quite sipid.

And it’s possible that I am taking this song too personally. But it’s also probably true that I take every movie and every song too personally, which is why I need to avoid All Things (with even a tidbit of) Melancholy. Because if I don’t, I’ll just be angry at nonexistent people like TrainWhore all the time. Which is why I continue to live in a happiness bubble.

10 Comments:

Blogger Janie said...

oooh! i like the way you think! can i have a bubble too, please?

jess, we are practically twins; i hate sad movies (and TrainWhores) and sometimes take things too personally.

oh, and fear not, "the one you don't" have will soon be transformed into... YOURS!! yay!

3:32 PM  
Blogger Whinger said...

Um...I once broke up with a guy because I felt he wouldn't chase after me in a crowded square a la Robert Downey, Jr. and Marisa Tomei in Only You. It's not even that great a movie.

9:01 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

I felt the same way when I heard the song. It's such a let down.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

Jess, don't worry about "TrainWhore." I only have eyes for you. And the ability to give advice in song lyric form.

10:41 AM  
Blogger anika said...

Jessica, you're onto something! I hate that song too, now.

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow - i really liked that song until you dissected it like that. i had no idea... will stop paying attention to lyrics in ALL songs now. :)
Whinger - that's so hysterical. I wish i had that much forethought with my exes.

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ummmm well i like the song lol but probably cause its sad and tradgic and i like things like that lol...k bye!

6:42 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Which part is tragic? How James is a Girlfriend's Thoughts stealing bastard? Because I don't feel a bit sorry for him.

And to anyone who may be reading these comments again, after you've already posted... Phee's favorite movie is Unfaithful. He ain't kiddin with the liking sad and tradgic things!

6:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Jessica, I'm back ... oh ok so you didn't know I had gone anywhere lol :)
I like that James Blunt song. It has a nice tune to it.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Gareth - am not debating pleasant tune to song. Am debating sweetness of lyrics.

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home