Saturday, September 16, 2006

"Sometimes you feel better when you name your arms."

Ahhh... the wisdom of an emotionally disturbed 8-year-old...

So the first full week of school came to a close yesterday, and I can't say I'll miss it. As a group, my class gets along better with each other and engage in much more socializing than my group did last year. On the other hand, I think they also try to hurt each other's feelings much more, picking out habits of their classmates, like the new one's tendency to stutter, and doing imitations. I'm not sure which I'd prefer, if I had a choice-- boys who don't even really associate with each other, or boys who are friends one moment, and are picking on each other the next. And also, manipulative phrases like, "I'm not letting you come over my house this weekend if you don't give me that flat red Lego piece," have become common.

As for me, I have lunch with a completely different group of people this year. A couple of them are younger kindergarten teachers, and I'm hoping that we can form some kind work-friendship... Get into gossip at lunch, maybe grab a happy hour drink here and there. My professional goals include Being More Organized (as in, not sending my aide up to make copies for an activity two seconds before I'm scheduled to do the lesson) and Writing More Creative Lessons (as in, not relying on the textbook so much, because ew, what third grader cares about a text book, especially when they can't read?).

And there you have it, folks. A boring, not-so-informative summary of my first week of school. My apologies.

Highlight of the week: A student in my coworker's classroom (she teaches the same type of kids as I do, but younger), a short, rolly-round 6-year-old, was taken into the Time Out room after inappropriate behavior involving a potty mouth and shuffling his chair around the perimeter of the room. His comments to his teacher upon entering: "YOU HAVE BIG TITTIES! I HAVE BIG TITTIES! TITTIES!TITTIES!TITTIES!!"

And now I'd like to apologize to those of you who have landed on my page via a "big titties" engine search. And to those of you who visit regularly, I'll let you know exactly how many that is, compliments of BlogPatrol. Mwahahaa...

2 Comments:

Blogger claire said...

wow.
its been a whole summer since i've said, "i have no idea how you do it".

there, i've said it. i hope it gets better for you and the other teacher.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Dino - It doesn't make me think less of you... It makes me think more of me.

Claire - I'm not sure I want "better," because this is the fun stuff!

Christine - The Barney Theme kind of suits it, no?

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home