Friday, September 29, 2006

Shopping and Stuff

Wednesday was a long day: I worked, I worked some more at the after-school program, I had class... I didn't even leave the building until 7. I considered not going grocery shopping, but then I remembered I had about 2 squares of toilet paper left, and so it just couldn't wait.

I have heard that ShopRite always has the best prices. My dad, who almost always did the grocery shopping for my family, claims that although ShopRite has better prices, ACME has better sales, and so it all comes within a few bucks difference in the end. Sometime during the last couple years, he started looking through both flyers and going to both stores. I think he just likes to have something to do on the weekends.

I am not like my father. Like I said, I have heard that ShopRite has the best prices, but I find the shopping experience to be so much better at Wegmans, and am willing to pay for it. In fact, on Wednesday night, I went to ShopRite first, put about three items in my cart, and then just decided I have had much too long and tiring of a day to wander around this messy store with the unclear price tags and confusing layout. I put my three things back and went down the street to Weg's.

The thing about Wegman's, is that not only do they have great prepared foods (I spent about $10 at the Asian Wokery, another $7 on homemade hummus from the Olive Bar, and another $3.29 on a side of butternut squash with Craisins and red onion.), but their seasonal/kitchen section rivals that of any bed and bath store. On this particular trip, I came away with a microwave egg poacher, a purple freezer tote (you know, for all that frozen food I'm always transporting around everywhere), a red rubber spatula/spoon type thing, a set of space-saver measuring spoons, and a set of space-saver collapsable sillicone measuring cups - both in red. (all adding up to an additional $30-$40 or so).

Just one question: Are you really saving space if you already have a own a set of measuring spoons and cups, and are just adding to the collection?

*****

Last night TheBoy came over, and for the first time since we started dating, we just cooked and ate dinner here. I cooked the ravioli, and he created English muffin garlic bread. It was nice being able to sit across from my my in my apartment eating food that I bought. And the best part? He cleaned up after dinner. Good thing we aren't both slobs, because I'd have just left everything in the sink. He even hand-washed the pots!! I'm telling you all- I've got me One Good Catch.

*****

Tonight my favorite girls are coming over for dinner and maybe some Scene-It. Can't! wait!

P.S. My friend J, who is also a teacher, has one student with ringworm, another with scabies, and now she has a rash on her chin. I would have loved for her to come to dinner, but you know, I'll enjoy my ziti more without the threat of parasites. Feel better J!

*****

Kid-Bit

SWNSS: Mrs.* B! E is saying inapwopwiate things to me!
Me: About what?
SWNSS: You know... about things that come out of your boooddddyyy... Like, from your backsiiide, and from where the sun don't shiiiine...

* They all call me "Mrs." I don't know why. It's too late to correct them now.

5 Comments:

Blogger East of North said...

Bwhaha! You bought stuff off our wedding registry. That chef'n stuff is great. I saw it in New Hope this summer and fell in love. I picked red too. The matching collapsible colander is perfectly sized for a portion of pasta. Were they selling it at Wegmans with the rest? I got the set as a shower present and actually packed it in my suitcase for here! XD

1:58 PM  
Blogger claire said...

i haven't even finished reading your post and just have to say:

Craisens in Butternut Squash!! What a good idea... *scribbles it down* Mmm...autumny...

3:14 PM  
Blogger claire said...

OMG - Scabies?? Damn, usually you only say that as a joke. Like if someone's itchy... 'what, do you have scabies or something?' You know.

I thought only dogs got that.
EW. And oh no.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Kate - I love them! I will check for the collander next time!

Claire - I was sooo good... the squash was cut up into pieces (not mashed) and there was a green herb (maybe parsley) chopped up in there too. Totally delish. I have also considered recreating it. And also, yeah, scabies. Weird.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Janie said...

i'd never even heard of 'scene-it' before. now i must go out and find it!
he cleans?!? you definitely have a keeper! good show, good show.

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home