Sunday, May 20, 2007

Everybody grab yer hoe!

That is a lyric from a square dancing song in my students' spring musical. I always reach for the nearest coworker when they get to that part, and it hasn't stopped being funny yet. At least, not for me...

*****

Looks like updates are averaging about once to twice a month, and I have no excuse for that other than settlement is on Thursday and I have been spending most of my time online browsing for outdoor livingrooms and puppies.

*****

I got the summer school job I applied for, and will be teaching "school age students with multiple disabilities." I am actually really excited because for one, I will have a younger (cronologically and mentally) group to whom I get to teach colors and numbers and songs, and for two, some still curse, but it's because they are autistic and not because I just tried to pry a pencil from their hand after an attempted stabbing. Hours are only 8:30 to 12:30 each day, Monday through Thursday, and the hourly rate is way more than I ever got working retail.

*****

Alex and some people at work each put in $300, and whoever loses the most weight at the end of 5 weeks gets all the money. One one hand, we could buy something really cool for the new house with $1,800. On the other hand, he ate pizza for lunch yesterday while everyone else ate salad.

I have no room to judge, really. I spent almost $200 on Michael Thurmond's 6 Week Total Body Makeover, lost 10 lbs. the first week, and then, true to form, lost the will-power about a week and a half in. 8 of the pounds have come back already.

*****

We drove to "our house" yesterday. Since we don't have the keys yet, we couldn't go inside, but we did walk around the back yard and peek in windows. The place has been vacant for about a month now, and the yard is filled with too-long grass and weeds and dying trees and dog shit. I was prepared for the painting and floor stuff we are going to do inside, but I wasn't really thinking about the back yard because it was in okay enough shape when we saw it last that a good mow and a few flowers would have made it passable. Now, I fear that a major overhaul is due. (P.S. We don't have a lawn mower*.)

* When I was little, I called it a "mow lawner." I still have to consciously think about it each time I try to write or say it.

Labels: , , ,