Sparks and Sushi
When I moved into Apartment, my mom gave me her old Panasonic vacuum, with the suggestion that I take it to the vaccuum and sewing machine repair place that is approximately one quarter of a mile from my apartment and have the belts replaced and the nasty pet-hair smell flushed out. I never did end up doing that, and since the smell was so horrific each time I vacuumed, I tended to do it... well... not so often.
Yesterday, when I flipped the switch to On, I was greeted with a loud, metallic exploding noise, like R2-D2 and Rosie had one too many shots of tequilla and decided to hump*. Whatever the noise actually was created sparks and a thin trail of smoke that raised up from where the cord goes into the machine. And then the whole thing just went dead.
I'm now trying to find a new vacuum, which I didn't realize would be such an expensive endeavour. I want one with a bag, since I've heard that the bagless variety aren't great for those with allergies, but damn, who wants to spend $300 on something you use to clean? Any suggestions for a good vaccum that isn't so expensive? Damn, this is boring and I am old.
* I fully realize this is the weirdest reference ever, but it's the first thing that came to my mind when I was trying to think of something to liken that sound to. I also fully really this makes me really fucking strange.
*****
Last weekend I went to NoJo, where Alison and Mike&Jay and I kicked off SushiFest2007. The whole ordeal kicked off at the Asian Food Center (familiarly called "AFC" by Mike). Have you ever wondered what it's like to be an ADD kid in a Chuck E. Cheese? If so, and you are someone who is not Asian, go to an AFC. Upon stepping into this store, I was greeted with so many bright colors, foodstuffs I had never heard of before (jellied redbeans? and people eat spiced chicken feet??), and packages with lables I could not read, that I just didn't know where to look. Searches for specific items like nori and edimame left me standing in the middle of an isle and turning in circles. After an hour or so, I found my self gazing through the windows into the gray, familiar parking lot to give my eyes and brain a rest.
It was totally worth it though, because, damn, did you know how cheap stuff is at an AFC? For about $40, you can buy enough food to feed 4-6 people to stuffed, while the same meal at a decent sushi restaurant would cost upwards of $100. And also? Rolling my own maki was SO FUN!! Jay was an excellent teacher, because surely I would have rolled the bamboo mat right into the rice had it not been for his instruction.
Other items on the menu, lovingly cooked by Anyonebutme:
I have added this cute sushi set to my Amazon wishlist, because although I loved making my own sushi, I probably would not do it just for myself. This set is for 4 people, so it will give me an excuse to invite the 3 of them down here for another go!
Yesterday, when I flipped the switch to On, I was greeted with a loud, metallic exploding noise, like R2-D2 and Rosie had one too many shots of tequilla and decided to hump*. Whatever the noise actually was created sparks and a thin trail of smoke that raised up from where the cord goes into the machine. And then the whole thing just went dead.
I'm now trying to find a new vacuum, which I didn't realize would be such an expensive endeavour. I want one with a bag, since I've heard that the bagless variety aren't great for those with allergies, but damn, who wants to spend $300 on something you use to clean? Any suggestions for a good vaccum that isn't so expensive? Damn, this is boring and I am old.
* I fully realize this is the weirdest reference ever, but it's the first thing that came to my mind when I was trying to think of something to liken that sound to. I also fully really this makes me really fucking strange.
*****
Last weekend I went to NoJo, where Alison and Mike&Jay and I kicked off SushiFest2007. The whole ordeal kicked off at the Asian Food Center (familiarly called "AFC" by Mike). Have you ever wondered what it's like to be an ADD kid in a Chuck E. Cheese? If so, and you are someone who is not Asian, go to an AFC. Upon stepping into this store, I was greeted with so many bright colors, foodstuffs I had never heard of before (jellied redbeans? and people eat spiced chicken feet??), and packages with lables I could not read, that I just didn't know where to look. Searches for specific items like nori and edimame left me standing in the middle of an isle and turning in circles. After an hour or so, I found my self gazing through the windows into the gray, familiar parking lot to give my eyes and brain a rest.
It was totally worth it though, because, damn, did you know how cheap stuff is at an AFC? For about $40, you can buy enough food to feed 4-6 people to stuffed, while the same meal at a decent sushi restaurant would cost upwards of $100. And also? Rolling my own maki was SO FUN!! Jay was an excellent teacher, because surely I would have rolled the bamboo mat right into the rice had it not been for his instruction.
Other items on the menu, lovingly cooked by Anyonebutme:
- salted edimame
- tempura scallops and shrimp
- seafood and cabbage dumplings
I have added this cute sushi set to my Amazon wishlist, because although I loved making my own sushi, I probably would not do it just for myself. This set is for 4 people, so it will give me an excuse to invite the 3 of them down here for another go!


3 Comments:
i think you should look on craigslist for a vacuum. that's my solution for everything these days.
i think being 'boring and old' is just a stage; once we are no longer in between young and old (and, therefore, just old) we won't think we're boring at all! haha
Janie - hmmm... craigslist, good call.
oh, and to be honest, i use my dust buster more than an actual vacuum. it might be worth it to invest in a little one and wait until you are rich and famous before you get a good one.
Post a Comment
<< Home