Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Playing It Safe

So I've kind of come to the realization that I am a teacher (shock! awe!) and if someone from the district happened to discover my blog, and you know, the pictures of dildos, and various discussions about my students... well there's no telling what would be in store* for me. And since I'm not tenured? They wouldn't even need to give a reason before firing me. So yeah. I'm all about keeping the job, and in the name of Playing It Safe, I've decided to get rid of all photos of myself. I'm sad to do it, because my blog is me and I am it and it looks like all my dreams**, and because I like people to be able to see how cute I am. But it had to be done. However, if you'd like a nude picture of me to glue on your computer screen right where my little profile shot should be, I would happy to send one to you. Um... just don't show my boss?

* Is "in store" the actual phrase? It looks weird and stupid.
** Come on... I didn't make that up. It's a phrase from a book called "The Orange Splot"... except it's not about a blog, it's about a house.


*****

A typical BD argument, as heard today:

Student A: Your leprechaun looks like it's dead!
Student B: YOU look dead!!
Student A: I am not dead!
Student B: Yes you are!
Student A: No I'm not!
Student B: Yes you are!
Student A: No I'm not!
Student B: Yes you are!
Student A: NO I'M NOT!! HE'S SAYING I'M DEAD!!! HE'S SAYING I'M DEAD!!!

I feel like my kids are constantly coming to me with HE SAID!!!!'s that are so obviously rediculous, and I just don't get why they care. This kid is obviously not dead. I can hear that he is not dead. In a BD room, the most common answer to a kid complaining about another kid's actions is, Ignore him. "He won't stop looking at me!" Ignore him. "He's rushing his work so he can be dont first!" Ignore him. "He's saying I'm dead!" Is it true? "No." Ignore him.

Where ignoring people in the real world* is both rude and antisocial, in a behavioral classroom, it is survival. On the other hand, they won't be in Fantasy Behavior Land forever, and what if I am just etching that phrase right into their heads, to be used later in life in inappropriate situations?

Possible future for my students:

"But Daddy? Doesn't that wireless internet belong to the neighbors?" Ignore him.
"Excuse me sir! You have to pay for that before you can take it out of the store!" Ignore him.
"Drop the weapon! Put your hands up!!" Ignore him.

I'll know to switch to something new when they start ignoring me.

* I wanted to capitalize The Real World, but then it was like I was referring to the show, which *shudder* I was not.

*****

Our "purpose for reading" this week is to explore Problem and Solution. I opened my lesson today with, "I really want to go outside, but I think it might be raining out, and I don't want to get wet. What is my PROBlem*?"

One child's honestly-not-meaning-to-be-a-smartass answer: "That you think?"

I had to agree.

*You know how teachers say words they are trying to get students to figure out the meaning of... as if emphasizing the first syllable of a word will give them and extra clue...

3 Comments:

Blogger Janie said...

oh man, i heart that kid's response. so wise, so young.

i think ignoring is the new response of the week. i will try it for the next week and let you know how it goes.

also, i am sad to see your pretty smile disappear from bloggerdom, but hey, the pics can always return after you are given tenure, eh!

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jess, why do all the possible situations in which a former student erroneously ignores something involve illegal actions? The action of ignoring an annoying person could possibly keep them from fighting, which will, in turn, keep them from getting jailed. That is a good thing, no? And, I am alright with you taking off your pics...because I watch you sleep Mwahahahaha

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have yet to master the umbrella. It completely eludes me that I should carry it around in the event of rain. Let me know what solutions they come up with.

Also, probably a wise decision on the picture front.

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home