Just Okay
In a comment on a past entry, Whinger suggested that I try the internet for some dating adventures. Oh, if only you all knew...
The thing is, working in an elementary school, the opportunities to meet single guys are few and far between. Unless a coworker sets you up with her son. And speaking from experience, that's just scary and no good things can come from it. Let's also cite the fact that all of my local female friends are in relationships. And don't suggest that maybe one of their boyfriends can introduce me to a cute friend, because none of them have any. I've checked. I live at home and I don't do the grocery shopping, so I will not meet a man in the frozen food isle. I don't believe in God so I will not meet him at church or synogogue. I am too busy to take some kind of community class, and am not so sure I'd want to date 50-year-old divorcees anyway. At the gym? Yeah, you have to go to the gym before you can meet someone at the gym... and anyway, sweaty guys gross me out-- I'm not all about that primal "natural smell*" that some girls are into.
So it seems that, at least for now, I am left with meeting men in cyberspace.
I've checked out (and have actually paid for) almost every internet dating site there is... match, craigslist, jdate, eharmony, okcupid, and yahoo!(!!!!**), which was the source of my date tonight.
Ahhh... tonight's date. I have to say, my expectations were higher, based on absolutely nothing other than the fact that he looked cute in his picture and also works in education. Alison said he looked too nice and that she'd be bored***. I said, "we'll see."
And he was very nice. He even brought me a box of tissues, as I had mentioned being on my deathbed last week. How nice. And we talked the whole time about stuff. It was nice. But like... definitely no sparks.
3 hours, 1 DayQuil, and several cups of coffee later, I was on my way home.
The thing about dating is that it is only actually fun if the dates are Really Really Good or Really Really Bad. The RRG dates leave you excited and hopeful. The RRB dates leave you itching to call your friend and give her the soon-to-be-hilarious (once the disgust wears off) post mortem. Just Okay Dates apparently leave you home by yourself, all acetaminophened and caffeinated and obviously too spaztic to put together a coherent blog entry about your night.
* B.O.
**Sorry, as you know, the exclamation point on that word excites me.
*** She was obviously trying to dissuade me so I will save myself for our 40-and-Single Marriage Pact.
Oh, and P.S. If you want to go into a date with that Rockin' the Confidence thing that guys supposedly like so much, get someone who you used to date tell you, "If he doesn't like you, he's an idiot." It's quite effective.
The thing is, working in an elementary school, the opportunities to meet single guys are few and far between. Unless a coworker sets you up with her son. And speaking from experience, that's just scary and no good things can come from it. Let's also cite the fact that all of my local female friends are in relationships. And don't suggest that maybe one of their boyfriends can introduce me to a cute friend, because none of them have any. I've checked. I live at home and I don't do the grocery shopping, so I will not meet a man in the frozen food isle. I don't believe in God so I will not meet him at church or synogogue. I am too busy to take some kind of community class, and am not so sure I'd want to date 50-year-old divorcees anyway. At the gym? Yeah, you have to go to the gym before you can meet someone at the gym... and anyway, sweaty guys gross me out-- I'm not all about that primal "natural smell*" that some girls are into.
So it seems that, at least for now, I am left with meeting men in cyberspace.
I've checked out (and have actually paid for) almost every internet dating site there is... match, craigslist, jdate, eharmony, okcupid, and yahoo!(!!!!**), which was the source of my date tonight.
Ahhh... tonight's date. I have to say, my expectations were higher, based on absolutely nothing other than the fact that he looked cute in his picture and also works in education. Alison said he looked too nice and that she'd be bored***. I said, "we'll see."
And he was very nice. He even brought me a box of tissues, as I had mentioned being on my deathbed last week. How nice. And we talked the whole time about stuff. It was nice. But like... definitely no sparks.
3 hours, 1 DayQuil, and several cups of coffee later, I was on my way home.
The thing about dating is that it is only actually fun if the dates are Really Really Good or Really Really Bad. The RRG dates leave you excited and hopeful. The RRB dates leave you itching to call your friend and give her the soon-to-be-hilarious (once the disgust wears off) post mortem. Just Okay Dates apparently leave you home by yourself, all acetaminophened and caffeinated and obviously too spaztic to put together a coherent blog entry about your night.
* B.O.
**Sorry, as you know, the exclamation point on that word excites me.
*** She was obviously trying to dissuade me so I will save myself for our 40-and-Single Marriage Pact.
Oh, and P.S. If you want to go into a date with that Rockin' the Confidence thing that guys supposedly like so much, get someone who you used to date tell you, "If he doesn't like you, he's an idiot." It's quite effective.


5 Comments:
Sigh. It IS too bad when they fall in the middle.
When I used to do the Internet dating, I would only have first dates on Tuesdays or Wednesdays, never wanting to waste a Friday or Saturday night.
Bad dates are good in the way that they tend to be fodder for stories for months.
Occasionally for me, memories of one in particular comes to mind for no reason whatsoever and i feel uncomfortable all over again.
That's when you know that date in particular was Special.
It's funny...I kind of miss the dating (although not enough to do it again for at least a long long while AND I do remember it as immensely frustrating)...I had some good ones, and some really really bad ones, which I probably enjoyed more...but I also liked changing it up, and seeing what was what. And as you know, Anth was a CL find...so keep on a hunting. And I'll keep my eyes out for new friends that Anth might meet who are not major assholes or major losers.
Jess, now why would I want to keep your future sweet 40-year-old ass for myself? And, that was sweet, and completely true, what Dino (which is a guess from his comment above) said. OOOOOooooooh, guy hunting in Philly this Sat? We can get you some random boy action... Yessssss!!
Whinger - Not a bad idea! I'll keep in mind... Especially because if it's going really horribly, you can always blame having work the next day for having to duck* out early.
*Typed "fuck" first, by accident. Heh.
Dino - Word choice is not important, as long as it is a word that means "completely lacking judgement."
Claire - Yes... I've had some Special ones myself...
Christine - Can we add "not a drug user" to that list as well?
Al - I think I'm over my Hooking-up-with-random-guys-in-Philly-bars Stage, but I am not against giving out my number ;o)
Post a Comment
<< Home