Perhaps the best thing that came out of hosting Thanksgiving dinner is that it was just what we needed to finally organizing our disaster of a house. And let me just add in there that I would have been game to do it much earlier, but was having my own secret in-my-head standoff with Alex, because if HE wasn't going to do it, I sure as hell wasn't going to either! Hmph!
So yeah, Thursday morning, we spent about 5 hours cleaning-- actually cleaning-- the house, moving boxes around, EMPTYING boxes, putting things where they are supposed to be rather than where we left them during our last pretend attempt at organization (such as my shoerack, which was supposed to be in our closet room*, but was actually in our guest room because I moved it when I built the closet organizer and never put it back). (* Incidentally, my grandma, who just saw the house for the first time, proclaimed that we should call it our Dressing Room, not a closet room. It's that functional now.)
It is not totally done, but it is at a point where 1) I am not embarassed when people come over, and 2) doing things like painting is actually possible. Incidentally, with my parents' help, we have painted two of the three bedrooms! (Erm, and this is a whoooole nuther story. Short version: it took two entire days to paint our bedroom. And then it still sucked, and my dad had to come over and fix our shitty work.) So I am finally feeling like I didn't move into a piece of shit for some guy. As it turns out, the whole disorganization thing was what was really eating at me! There is still a ton to do, but we've made a dent, at least.
*****
A Conversation
Alex: Did you just drink that Rolling Rock so you'd have a place to stick your flower?
Me: ...
Alex: *sigh* Dork.

Labels: Cleaning, Foibles
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home