Saturday, November 24, 2007

Happy Thankspigging

Our First Thanksgiving in the New House turned out well. I don't know what all the hubbub is about-- it wasn't that hard. I guess a lot of prep and cleaning went into it, but when it came down to the cooking, meh. Perhaps if I went more gourmet and less traditional, it would have been more difficult. Oh and also if I had cooked the turkey myself, if my parents hadn't brought two of the side dishes, and if Alex's mom hadn't brought the desserts.

Like I mentioned, I purchased it pre-cooked from Wegmans (love), but it still needed two hours in the oven to heat up. End result: It tasted like turkey. I'm not a huge turkey fan, and no one else I know is, either. I've had brined turkey, seasoned and herbed turkey, roasted turkey, injected turkey, fragrant turkey... they all kinda just taste like turkey to me. I just think turkey is turkey. And, since my dad was the only one who ate dark meat, and he prefers beef anyway, I decided that next year I will just cook a turkey breast and prime rib. Cheers for new traditions!

*****

I have already had my fill of leftovers, and it's only Day 2 post-TG. Yesterday's Menu featured Italian bread French toast with homemade cranberry sauce topping for breakfast, a leftover sandwich for lunch, and turkey croquets with a mashed potato casserole for dinner. I had a leftover canoli and some brie with crackers for breakfast this morning. I keep thinking I should make a soup or something, but as I hardly cook, I do not have a stocked pantry, and therefore would have to go to the store and buy food to cook leftovers... I dunno... seems to defeat the purpose to me.



*****

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for!!!

More pictures of Coconut!


"She don't eat meat, but she sho likes da bone! RUFF!"


Jail Dog


Apparently humans aren't the only ones to enter a Thanksgiving coma...

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger claire said...

Aw... Coconut is adorable! And looks like she still has a shaved belly - fresh from girly surgery, eh? poor kid. She's so cute.

Glad you had a good thanksgiving, though i wish mine was as stress-free as yours was. I was beat thursday night and i didn't even host it. Just from helping out mom. Hard work those holidays...

12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only thing funnier than quoting Mary Moon is the picture it captions. I get that bone for my dog, and she's 45 lbs. Coconut's going to be eating that thing until the snow thaws.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

Aww the little Coconut is getting so big and grownup looking.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Janie said...

I LOVE turkey!! I thought my husband was a mutant for not liking it (his birthday always falls on Canadian Thanksgiving weekend), but i suppose i will have to rethink that now.

I could happily eat TG leftovers until Christmas. Sigh. (This may or may not be because i live by myself and eat out of a bag most nights.)

Oh Coconut, you're such a cutie-petutie.

1:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god, Coconut is PRECIOUS. Also, I totally love turkey.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home