I'll Thank You Later
So it seems we're having Thanksgiving here. My game plan is to just buy a precooked turkey at Wegman's (because drying out a turkey or forgetting to take the giblets out, and having that be my "My Very First Thanksgiving" story is much too trite), but go gangsta on the sides. I have to keep in a couple of plain old standards due to my picky boyfriend, so mashed potatoes will stay mashed potatoes. I'm still trying to talk him out of a sweet potato casserole with marshmallows (me: "but my sweet potato casserole recipe has a brown sugar and butter topping! You can add your own marshmallows at the end!), and I know that in addition to whatever stuffing I make, I will also probably throw on a pot of StoveTop as well, to satisfy the unadventurous' palate.
Now I need your help. What is the best Thanksgiving sidedish you've ever had? C'mon. I know some of your parents experiment every year (Megan), so what are the winners? Please email me any recipes you might have that you think are worthy of a kick-ass spread.
In return, I will mention you when our parents force us to go around the table and tell everyone what we are thankful for.
Example: I am thankful for world peace *snort* and also, X-Blogger's cranberry sauce recipe.
Now I need your help. What is the best Thanksgiving sidedish you've ever had? C'mon. I know some of your parents experiment every year (Megan), so what are the winners? Please email me any recipes you might have that you think are worthy of a kick-ass spread.
In return, I will mention you when our parents force us to go around the table and tell everyone what we are thankful for.
Example: I am thankful for world peace *snort* and also, X-Blogger's cranberry sauce recipe.
Labels: Cooking


3 Comments:
EWWW. I hate marshmallow. Hate it. And you can't defile the beautiful sweet potato with marshmallow. CAN'T. Our family does them candied which is *heaven* - it's brown sugar and butter (lots) and corn syrup. MMMmmmm... But you have your own sweet potato thing, so i won't bother you with that.
Cranberry sauce, though? Yeah, i'll dig up mom's recipe for cranberries. That's definitely worth it. Her stuffing is, too. F*ck Stovetop, i say.
Lemme see what i can dig up...
I second that; my fave is sweet potato casserole, but I top it with crumble (oatmeal, butter & brown sugar). I whip them with egg whites so they stiffen--and it adds protein! Healthy!
Shame you're not doing the turkey; Alton Brown's brined recipe is the only way to live. We've done it the last three years, and there's barely turkey leftovers.
Homemade stuffing is king--we use Pepperidge Farms bread crumbs; from there, your choice of additives... but the old meat-eater in me says italian sausage.
Ooh! I love love love fall and Thanksgivingy recipes. For stuffing, I like to crumble up cornbread and also use a package of Pepperidge Farms bread crumbs; add lots of onion, a bit of celery (I'm not much of a celery fan), and chopped up turkey or chicken meat (I recently used leftovers from a roasted chicken we made the night before). Pour in some chicken broth, bake, and voila! Yummalicious. I also have a delicious corn souffle recipe - I'll have to dig it up and email it to ya!
Post a Comment
<< Home