Rugel-ugh
I decided to try to bake this rugelach recipe for my grandma, who is in the hospital and whose birthday was yesterday. I bought all the ingredients with full realization that we don't own a KitchenAid mixer, or a food processor or even a hand beater. Pft. Before there was electricity, people didn't make their rugelah with electronic mixers! I thought. Except, well, it turns out it was haaaaard to mix the cream cheese and butter and sugar and flour all into a dough-- especially when the only mixing device I actually own is a rubber spoonula. Also? The rolling out was not so easy, as I have no rolling pin. I tried to use the rod from our paper towel holder, but that just stuck to the dough. I had more success with a drinking glass, though I kept having fear that I was pressing too hard and that the glass was going to crush under the pressure, leaving tiny shards of glass in the dough and my hands. It didn't.
Additional snag, I sort of forgot to read ahead. After I mixed the dough, it had to chill in the fridge for a couple hours. Oh well, I thought. I'll have them in the oven by 10, and they only take 20 minutes to bake. Except after I rolled out the dough and put on the filling and rolled the whole thing up, I got to the part in the recipe where it says, "Chill for another hour." Hm. Well, I guess I can just slice and bake in the morning. That won't be so hard. So here I am this morning, ready to heat up the oven and slice my rugelah and be all Suzie Homemaker (for a change), and then I get to the line in the directions where it says, "lay cookies on parchment paper."
Foiled again.
So now it's about time for me to leave for work, and I have no parchment paper. It turns out I will NOT be baking rugelach this morning, or, for that matter, until I update my baking too supply.
Additional snag, I sort of forgot to read ahead. After I mixed the dough, it had to chill in the fridge for a couple hours. Oh well, I thought. I'll have them in the oven by 10, and they only take 20 minutes to bake. Except after I rolled out the dough and put on the filling and rolled the whole thing up, I got to the part in the recipe where it says, "Chill for another hour." Hm. Well, I guess I can just slice and bake in the morning. That won't be so hard. So here I am this morning, ready to heat up the oven and slice my rugelah and be all Suzie Homemaker (for a change), and then I get to the line in the directions where it says, "lay cookies on parchment paper."
Foiled again.
So now it's about time for me to leave for work, and I have no parchment paper. It turns out I will NOT be baking rugelach this morning, or, for that matter, until I update my baking too supply.
Labels: Cooking


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home