Sleep and Garbage
I can't seem to get moving this morning. I should be ready to leave in about 7 minutes, but instead I am sitting here with the towel still on my head writing a blog entry.
I've been having serious sleep issues. I have to wake up around 6am. For me to get an ideal amount of sleep, I'd have to go to bed around 10pm. However, most nights Alex doesn't get home until around 10, and so I like to stay up for a little so I actually get to see him. Last night he didn't get home until about 10:30, and so I ended up staying awake until midnight.
Alex doesn't have to wake up until 7:30, and he has the added bonus of not caring if he's tired all day because he is able to sleep an extraordinary number of hours in a row on his days off. If he's lacking any sleep during the week, he sure makes up for it on Sundays. I, on the other hand, simply cannot deal with loud, moody, insubordinate children on little sleep. My teaching suffers, and my temper is shorter.
I'm really not sure how to fix this. Short of him getting a new job with fewer hours, I don't know how else I'd get the sleep I need while still getting to spend time with my boyfriend. Grr.
*****
Last Friday morning, I woke up when Alex was leaving for work so that we could take all of our Thanksgiving and bedroom-painting trash out to the curb. We walked outsided at about 8:30, and the trash truck was already clammoring down the street, almost at our house! I walked quickly to the curb with our kitchen bag while Alex opened the garage to start bringing out some of the other stuff.
We were hurrying, people. It's not like we were moseying along and expecting the trash guys to wait for us. But sheesh, stopping the truck for a minute while we brought some stuff out would have been nice!
However, they did not think so. They took the two bags that we managed to get out there, and then refused to take a box full of trash because the actual box was cardboard and recycling would have to take that.
Me: Erm, well there is food trash and stuff in it. Trash guy: *shrug*
So, take THIS! trash guys! We now have TWO weeks of trash on the curb, and then some! Three giant cans full, a few bags on the side, an old rolled up carpet, more stuff from another weekend of painting, and plenty* for the cardboard guys. So nanny nanny boo boo!
* Including the box from Guitar Hero for Wii, which I bought A for his bday. I. am. Addicted. Also: A rockstar.
I've been having serious sleep issues. I have to wake up around 6am. For me to get an ideal amount of sleep, I'd have to go to bed around 10pm. However, most nights Alex doesn't get home until around 10, and so I like to stay up for a little so I actually get to see him. Last night he didn't get home until about 10:30, and so I ended up staying awake until midnight.
Alex doesn't have to wake up until 7:30, and he has the added bonus of not caring if he's tired all day because he is able to sleep an extraordinary number of hours in a row on his days off. If he's lacking any sleep during the week, he sure makes up for it on Sundays. I, on the other hand, simply cannot deal with loud, moody, insubordinate children on little sleep. My teaching suffers, and my temper is shorter.
I'm really not sure how to fix this. Short of him getting a new job with fewer hours, I don't know how else I'd get the sleep I need while still getting to spend time with my boyfriend. Grr.
*****
Last Friday morning, I woke up when Alex was leaving for work so that we could take all of our Thanksgiving and bedroom-painting trash out to the curb. We walked outsided at about 8:30, and the trash truck was already clammoring down the street, almost at our house! I walked quickly to the curb with our kitchen bag while Alex opened the garage to start bringing out some of the other stuff.
We were hurrying, people. It's not like we were moseying along and expecting the trash guys to wait for us. But sheesh, stopping the truck for a minute while we brought some stuff out would have been nice!
However, they did not think so. They took the two bags that we managed to get out there, and then refused to take a box full of trash because the actual box was cardboard and recycling would have to take that.
Me: Erm, well there is food trash and stuff in it. Trash guy: *shrug*
So, take THIS! trash guys! We now have TWO weeks of trash on the curb, and then some! Three giant cans full, a few bags on the side, an old rolled up carpet, more stuff from another weekend of painting, and plenty* for the cardboard guys. So nanny nanny boo boo!
* Including the box from Guitar Hero for Wii, which I bought A for his bday. I. am. Addicted. Also: A rockstar.


10 Comments:
Like your post and am sorry the guys weren't nicer to you. I am a NY trash collector and we always stop the truck for people -- especially women -- running a last bag out. Did the guys compact the garbage as you stood there?
Oh, wow, i am surprised to see that Anon up there. As a NY trash generator, i have had SO MANY PROBLEMS with my NY trash collectors.
With the "recycling" and "leaves and grass clippings" days and not taking certain things or more than 6 bags of trash crap. Granted, it's all run by the shitty township that i live in, but i hate my trash service. They will take all kinds of stuff off of my neighbor's curb, but not mine. Last fall, we had leaf bags (like 30) sitting on the curb for 6 weeks. I called and complained and they just sat longer.
Damn them. Damn them all. (Or at least the ones in my town, all the others are just fine. Probably.)
Claire, why don't you go out and ask them to take it? We get people all the time who run last bags out and stop to ask us to take larger items. Had a woman last week who was totally mesmorized seeing her old couch, tv and bags go in up close.
Tony is getting GuitarHero for the Wii unless the Rock Band one (which I think is only Xbox? PSP?) comes out on the Wii in the next couple of months.
If I haven't done so already, get thee Ravin Rabbids. The first one, the second one sucks. But, my god, the first one...so fun!
Also, I miss you. Can't wait to see you in a week!
This comment has been removed by the author.
not more than 6 bags of trash?!?! we are allowed TWO! count them, 1, 2. anything more than that gets left on your driveway. unless, of course, you go down to city hall and buy bright orange sticker to put on your extra bags so the garbage collectors know it's okay.
oh! and did y'all hear about our lovely garbage strike?! July 19-Oct 15. No joke-- 13 disgusting weeks of garbage pile up. thankfully jm and i moved.
claire, may i suggest baking Christmas cookies for your garbage guys-- it might help!
And last, but certainly not least, i LOVE guitar hero!!! i just started playing it at my friend's house and i so totally addicted.
Anon. - I don't think they compacted it-- they just took the bag I was holding and drove away as Alex tried rushing out with a couple other bags from the garage. Next time I will say, "HEY! NEW YORK guys stop!"
Claire - From what I can tell around here, leaves are left right on the curb and they come around with some big vacuum thing that I guess sucks it all up and mulches it or something. I refuse to rake, so I guess we'll never really know...
Christine - Oooh... what is cool about Rock Band? Also, will try Ravin Rabbids. Yay! Can't wait for you to come!
Janie - I think our only limit is that each item being thrown away can't weigh more than 50 lbs, and it must be managable by one person. Hence, when we first moved in, there were a bunch of things they wouldn't take, and we had to rent a dumpster. I can't imaging 13 weeks of trash piling up! I think by week 4, I'd start illegally dumping somewhere.
13 Weeks of trash is just plain nasty. This woman I mentioned the other day totally didn't expect her furniture to go in with the bags (there are two of us to a truck so we can life furniture in).
You should tell 'em NY guys stop... You ever see the truck compressing the load? Usually, that takes about a minute and it sounds like you could have used it :).
Those leaf picker-upper things are THE BEST. You just rake your leaves right into the street. No bagging. You totally can't beat that.
We do not have that.
NY Anon Trash Guy - I will give my collectors the benefit of the doubt and try to stop them. If they are nice, like you, maybe i have been cursing them for no reason. Hell, you may be one of them.
I don't collect the trash on Long Island so you can't be yelling at me. :)
Did have a woman this morning on the route who was not happy that we were taking an old armoire that was out with the trash (don't know what she expected us to do). Certainly don't think she expected to see it go into the back of the truck.
Post a Comment
<< Home