I'm the Silver one
(If you were ever a Brownie, you might get the reference in the title. If not-- really, who cares anyway?)
I've turned into a bad friend. I know, I've always been slightly too self-absorbed to be a really thoughtful, great friend. But lately I've just been negligent.
I'm not sure what the reason is. I guess I could blame it on being distracted by TheBoy, the new house, the new puppy, work, my family... But the truth is, I spend most of my time sitting around on my ass watching reality TV (or should I say: CelebReality?)
I'm not just being bad with phone calls (like for Meg's birthday), either; I'm also being Super Lame-o (does using the phrase Super Lame-o make me even more lame?) when it comes to having a social life. I do not want to sit in all the time, yet it seems that it's all I ever do. When I actually feel like putting in the effort to look presentable for the outside world, I can't find anyone to go out with me. When I do get invited out, I end up feeling too lazy to get myself ready, or anxious if I don't know about it days in advance. Example:
Friend: Hey, just wondering if you want to go out for drinks tonight?
Me: (Oh god tonight?! But that's so soon! I have to take a shower and find something to wear and put makeup on and put the dog in her crate and Alex is working and...) Oh, uh, I can't because [insert excuse here].
What IS this? Depression? Anxiety? Old Age? Pure Laziness? Maybe I'm just in a rut about moving and living 30 minutes + from anyone I'd want to hang out with? I feel like a Desperate Housewife, except without the hot body or the murder-mystery, or well, you know-- the husband. Is anyone else feeling this way? Any suggestions on how to bust out of it?
*****
Kid-Bit
CursingKid has been walking around saying "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!" for the last few days. (Autistic kids tend to pick up phrases from nowhere and repeat them over, and over, and over. And over...) He said it today, and then his face lit up, and he screamed "SHITTY SHITTY BANG BANG!!!" and then without missing a beat, "Did I say a bad word?" "Yes, CursingKid, you did. And now you're going to have to lose A Mouth*." CursingKid: Oh, shit.
* This particular kid has a card with three Velcro mouths on it-- each one represents a Bruce Springsteen song he gets to listen to at the end of the day. He loses mouths for cursing and inappropriate language.
*****
Coconut has more than doubled her weight since we got her, from 2 lbs. to 4.7. Fatty. Here are a couple pictures because I can't escape her cuteness, so you shouldn't be able to, either.

I've turned into a bad friend. I know, I've always been slightly too self-absorbed to be a really thoughtful, great friend. But lately I've just been negligent.
I'm not sure what the reason is. I guess I could blame it on being distracted by TheBoy, the new house, the new puppy, work, my family... But the truth is, I spend most of my time sitting around on my ass watching reality TV (or should I say: CelebReality?)
I'm not just being bad with phone calls (like for Meg's birthday), either; I'm also being Super Lame-o (does using the phrase Super Lame-o make me even more lame?) when it comes to having a social life. I do not want to sit in all the time, yet it seems that it's all I ever do. When I actually feel like putting in the effort to look presentable for the outside world, I can't find anyone to go out with me. When I do get invited out, I end up feeling too lazy to get myself ready, or anxious if I don't know about it days in advance. Example:
Friend: Hey, just wondering if you want to go out for drinks tonight?
Me: (Oh god tonight?! But that's so soon! I have to take a shower and find something to wear and put makeup on and put the dog in her crate and Alex is working and...) Oh, uh, I can't because [insert excuse here].
What IS this? Depression? Anxiety? Old Age? Pure Laziness? Maybe I'm just in a rut about moving and living 30 minutes + from anyone I'd want to hang out with? I feel like a Desperate Housewife, except without the hot body or the murder-mystery, or well, you know-- the husband. Is anyone else feeling this way? Any suggestions on how to bust out of it?
*****
Kid-Bit
CursingKid has been walking around saying "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!" for the last few days. (Autistic kids tend to pick up phrases from nowhere and repeat them over, and over, and over. And over...) He said it today, and then his face lit up, and he screamed "SHITTY SHITTY BANG BANG!!!" and then without missing a beat, "Did I say a bad word?" "Yes, CursingKid, you did. And now you're going to have to lose A Mouth*." CursingKid: Oh, shit.
* This particular kid has a card with three Velcro mouths on it-- each one represents a Bruce Springsteen song he gets to listen to at the end of the day. He loses mouths for cursing and inappropriate language.
*****
Coconut has more than doubled her weight since we got her, from 2 lbs. to 4.7. Fatty. Here are a couple pictures because I can't escape her cuteness, so you shouldn't be able to, either.

Sometimes when she hears a dog barking on TV, she stops to check it out. Today I put on Eight Below to see what would happen. She sat captivated for a good 10 minutes. That's what I like: a dog who watches as much TV as me.




4 Comments:
Oh she's so CUTE!
What kind of dog is she? SO SO CUTE.
Also - yes, i do the same thing. I'm not sure what it is, either, but i hate that i've turned into someone who just finds it easier to sit at home and watch tv. I don't really prefer to sit home and watch tv, but it's easier. It's easier than finding something to wear, trying to coordinate schedules with the boyfriend, and dealing with the animals to make sure they'll make it through a couple of hours alone.
I tend to blame the dogs. They just make life that much more complicated.
I thought I trademarked that condition: Being Sarah, House-hermit, Queen of All Things Lame. The best solution is to get wack-ass drunk with the friends in question in the safe, secure environment of your own living room. Drinks are cheap and there's no line to pee.
Coconut is fiercely cute--you can tell she's still growing; her (her?) head-to-body ratio makes her look like one of those The Dogdolls.
Claire - little Coconut is a Cairn Terrier... like Toto, but a different color. And I'm glad to know I'm not alone in my hermitness...
Sarah - Maybe I do need to get wack-ass drunk...
And yeah, I definitely see the likeness!
Yeah, I know that rut. Cancel your cable and spend 60+ extra dollars treating your friends 1x/month. When you only have 4 very fuzzy channels, TV isn't nearly as interesting.
Thanks for the BDAY wishes. I think you're a great friend. :) Hope to catch you next time we make the trek up to your hood.
Post a Comment
<< Home