Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Will someone please get me my cane?

You know, I've talked about the whole nanny thing a lot this summer, and I've tried not to inundate anyone with cute/silly/exasperating stories of children. But damn, today made me feel old!

First, I'm playing this Spongebob Squarepants game that the girls have. It's just one of those joystick things you plug into the TV, and I see the game, and I'm like, "Man, this reminds me of Nintendo!"

"What's Nintendo?"

Um. Only the gaming system on which I spent a significantly large part of my childhood. Bowser? Yeah, you can all thank me for saving the world from his evil ways!

And then, we go to see the free movie at United Artists, which happens to be Fat Albert. Now, I remember Fat Albert from growing up. I totally had the special pen that made noise as it drew on the page, and the workbook to follow along with Bill Cosby as he did a little lesson before the show. In fact, a nerd since birth, I actually enjoyed that more than the cartoon itself. But that's not to take away from Mush Mouth and Dumb Donald's comedic timing...

Anyway, so we're watching the movie, and Bill Cosby has a cameo, and the girls are all, "who's that?" And I think, are you not familiar with the Huxtables?, and then, no, these chicks don't even know Nintendo, they probably don't know anything about Cliff, Claire, Sondra, Denise, Theo, Vanessa, and Rudy! And they only know Olivia because she now has her own show on the Disney Channel, "That's So Raven," which, believe me, is not raven at all.

And so, a new generation is rising. A generation that will have fond childhood memories, not of Nintendo, but of Spongebob Squarepants retro joystick games, not of Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids on Saturday mornings while eating Cinnamon Toast Crunch in their pj's, but of Fat Albert the Movie, on a random Tuesday, for free at the movie theater. And I know that my generation has borrowed many things from previous generations. They say "what goes around comes around."

I guess I'm just glad that I was part of the going-around side of something.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Cosby Show (I think) is still playing on Nick at Nite. You're probably in the same boat as me here. I remember when Nick at Nite was playing The Andy Griffith Show, All in the Family, I Love Lucy, etc. which were waaaay before our time....and now they're showing stuff we watched during prime time. Eh, whatcha gonna do?

Do you still have your Nintendo? Those kids need edumacated.

3:50 PM  
Blogger anika said...

I really personally miss duck hunt.

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home