Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Movin' On

Well, not me. 'Cause I'm still livin' with good ol' Mom and Dad. Soon enough for me, though... and that's why I had to help move my friend Christine (you all know and love her from the comments she leaves! and maybe because you know her in real life too) this weekend... because she totally will be helping me when it's my turn.

So picture this: Me, Christine, and Christine's TheBoy (CTB), who I had just met about 1 hour prior. We have packed up her room, moved a bunch of stuff into a rented van and my brother's borrowed SUV (well, borrowed by me, from my brother), and are now moving one very large couch up 2 flights of steps. Except each flight has a little landing and then curves. And the ceilings are angled. And the couch doesn't fit. And so we get it up to the first little part of flight one to the little landing, and it's totally stuck, and this is where I start feeling bad for CTB, because he is basically carrying the whole weight of this monstrosity, and I suddenly get a flashback of a Friends episode and start screaming "Pi-VOT!! Pi-VOT!!" while Christine starts cracking up and pretty much loses what meager hold she had on the couch. CTB is not amused.

And so then we start angling the couch in as many different ways as possible. If we turn it this way, we can maybe slide the bottom part over the railing post. If we turn it on its short end, maybe then it will fit. Nope. The only option left?

Break it!

So Christine gets the hammer and screwdriver/chisel that come in the pocketbook-shaped girly girl toolkit that she received from her sister last Christmas, and CTB starts hammering away at it while Christine looks on close to tears because he's "hurting it."

This goes on for about half an hour until Victoria and her boyfriend, Odesh (that could be a mutilation of the spelling of his name) get home. Odesh walks in, assesses the problem (the problem being the couch stuck in the stairwell with a beam that just will not break (despite 30 minutes of chiselling and hammering while Christine and I laughed hysterically at the idiocy of the situation, much to CTB's annoyance, I'm sure), says, "why don't we try turning it this way?"

And the freaking couch goes up the stairs.

So, I did lots of heavy lifting that day, but definitely not as much as Christine or CBT, or Odesh, who had to move Victoria's stuff in before he aided us in getting Christine's RealFurniture up those stairs. (Seriously, what college/law student has furniture that is not plastic or pressboard? Christine does!)

But it all made that pizza and beer we shared afterwards taste Oh. So. Good.

1 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

You spelled Odesh right. You can also call him Odeshychandrapoo. I don't think he likes it though. And the CTB really was not a happy camper, although he did get seriously intoxicated later.

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home