Okay, okay, I'll blog about the date!
When you get home from a really good date, and you are kind of wired and can't sleep, but don't want to blog about the date because then it's immortal or might jinx things, or the guy you went on the date with might (will) see the blog entry and think you're a freak... well sometimes you just ignore all that because you have lots to say anyway.
So the night began with a bit of miscommunication. I was arriving at the train station at 7:31, he told me he'd be 5 minutes late... so I assumed he'd call me when he was close since I'd already called him to tell him I was getting on the train, and he assumed I'd call him when my train got in so he could tell me how close he was. Consequently, neither of us called the other, leaving me standing at the corner of 8th & Market, and him sitting in his car 25 yards (this is a guess- I have no spacial skills) away, for, oh, about 20 minutes. But whatever. Bygones.
So I did something kind of special tonight... I had my very first Pat's and my very first Geno's cheesesteak! It's hard to believe that living 15 minutes outside Philly most of my life has left me without being a part of such a city tradition, but it was definitely an experience! We ordered the same thing from both: "Wiz, wit-out," denoting the type of cheese and the absence of onions. It's kind of Soup Nazi style, and there are even ordering instructions up next to the windows. Aesthetically, Pat's is kind of outdone by Geno's... While Pat's was dirty and small, Geno's is bigger, cleaner, and very bright, with all sorts of orange and blinking lights and arrows. But I have to say... when it comes down to taste... I prefer the place down the street from my house (*cringe* pleasedon'tkillme!) Both were okay, and very similar... Geno's roll was softer, though Pat's meat was a little tastier. But as far as Philly cheesesteaks being notorious, I'm not sure if either of those places is where the reputation came from. Maybe people should start checking SoJo for such things instead.
Anyway, next we took a ride over to Olde City and hit up my new favorite place in Philly (as of tonight), Buffalo Billiards. The atmosphere was really casual and chill, the drinks were good, and we got to shoot some pool, a game in which I do not excel. I won the first game (go me!), lost the second (hit the 8 ball into the corner pocket... oops!) and the third... and during the fourth...
The lights in the whole place went out!!

Here's the proof! A picture taken from inside, with his cell phone.
So we hung out for awhile, playing pool by floodlight, but after about 10 minutes, those, too, went out, and they had to close the place. Turned out a whole circuit of places in the area lost power. Bummer.
We walked around and decided on ice cream at The Franklin Fountain. They had lots of flavors to choose from, and I decided on a scoop of green tea ice cream, while my accomplice got a hot fudge sundae. Yum!
And, okay, so here's the part of the blog where I mention something that my date did not know at the time, but may have noticed my flustered (though to him, unconnected to anything) reaction... But I totally saw New Year's Eve Nick standing outside Suede when we walked by!! (NYE Nick being the guy who fed me free the Grey Goose drinks... and that's all of that story you're going to get.) We were just strolling, and he busted out the doors, and I noticed, I looked ahead really quickly, narrowly escaping whiplash, and freaked out in my head, tried to contain my composure while my brain was cracking up, and attempted conversation while thinking "omigodIhavetotellthegirlsaboutthis!" I mean, what are the freaking chances?! (Well, aside from the fact that he works there... but really... he works there- shouldn't he be inside, like, working?)
And then somewhere within the next couple minutes, good conversation really did distract me away from hilarious thoughts of New Year's Eve, and we ended up at the Great Plaza at Penn's Landing, where good conversation continued while overlooking the Delaware River and taking in the breeze from the amphitheater steps.
It's kind of a shame that such a nice night had to end in a train ride, because before that, my evening had been completely vomit-on-the-floor and loud-drunk-boy free. However, I got home within a reasonable hour... and of course now it is no longer a reasonable hour, so I think it's time for me to get to sleep.
Sweet dreams :o)
So the night began with a bit of miscommunication. I was arriving at the train station at 7:31, he told me he'd be 5 minutes late... so I assumed he'd call me when he was close since I'd already called him to tell him I was getting on the train, and he assumed I'd call him when my train got in so he could tell me how close he was. Consequently, neither of us called the other, leaving me standing at the corner of 8th & Market, and him sitting in his car 25 yards (this is a guess- I have no spacial skills) away, for, oh, about 20 minutes. But whatever. Bygones.
So I did something kind of special tonight... I had my very first Pat's and my very first Geno's cheesesteak! It's hard to believe that living 15 minutes outside Philly most of my life has left me without being a part of such a city tradition, but it was definitely an experience! We ordered the same thing from both: "Wiz, wit-out," denoting the type of cheese and the absence of onions. It's kind of Soup Nazi style, and there are even ordering instructions up next to the windows. Aesthetically, Pat's is kind of outdone by Geno's... While Pat's was dirty and small, Geno's is bigger, cleaner, and very bright, with all sorts of orange and blinking lights and arrows. But I have to say... when it comes down to taste... I prefer the place down the street from my house (*cringe* pleasedon'tkillme!) Both were okay, and very similar... Geno's roll was softer, though Pat's meat was a little tastier. But as far as Philly cheesesteaks being notorious, I'm not sure if either of those places is where the reputation came from. Maybe people should start checking SoJo for such things instead.
Anyway, next we took a ride over to Olde City and hit up my new favorite place in Philly (as of tonight), Buffalo Billiards. The atmosphere was really casual and chill, the drinks were good, and we got to shoot some pool, a game in which I do not excel. I won the first game (go me!), lost the second (hit the 8 ball into the corner pocket... oops!) and the third... and during the fourth...
The lights in the whole place went out!!

Here's the proof! A picture taken from inside, with his cell phone.
So we hung out for awhile, playing pool by floodlight, but after about 10 minutes, those, too, went out, and they had to close the place. Turned out a whole circuit of places in the area lost power. Bummer.
We walked around and decided on ice cream at The Franklin Fountain. They had lots of flavors to choose from, and I decided on a scoop of green tea ice cream, while my accomplice got a hot fudge sundae. Yum!
And, okay, so here's the part of the blog where I mention something that my date did not know at the time, but may have noticed my flustered (though to him, unconnected to anything) reaction... But I totally saw New Year's Eve Nick standing outside Suede when we walked by!! (NYE Nick being the guy who fed me free the Grey Goose drinks... and that's all of that story you're going to get.) We were just strolling, and he busted out the doors, and I noticed, I looked ahead really quickly, narrowly escaping whiplash, and freaked out in my head, tried to contain my composure while my brain was cracking up, and attempted conversation while thinking "omigodIhavetotellthegirlsaboutthis!" I mean, what are the freaking chances?! (Well, aside from the fact that he works there... but really... he works there- shouldn't he be inside, like, working?)
And then somewhere within the next couple minutes, good conversation really did distract me away from hilarious thoughts of New Year's Eve, and we ended up at the Great Plaza at Penn's Landing, where good conversation continued while overlooking the Delaware River and taking in the breeze from the amphitheater steps.
It's kind of a shame that such a nice night had to end in a train ride, because before that, my evening had been completely vomit-on-the-floor and loud-drunk-boy free. However, I got home within a reasonable hour... and of course now it is no longer a reasonable hour, so I think it's time for me to get to sleep.
Sweet dreams :o)


2 Comments:
Jess... will agree with you about the cheesesteaks. I didn't care much for them either. Must be a categorical "Meg-Jess". ;o) -- Oh and yes, I'm glad you had a good time! ~ Meg (since I'm accountless)
> "I mean, what are the freaking chances?!
> (Well, aside from the fact that he works
> there... but really... he works there-
> shouldn't he be inside, like, working?)"
Given the events of NYE, I think it's more likely that Nick was "working it" than working. But hey, that's just my opinion...
Post a Comment
<< Home