Monday, August 07, 2006

Meet the Parents

I have been dating Alex for about 6 weeks now and he has still not met my parents. This is not intentional. He works late, and so when I lived at home and he wasn't coming to pick me up until 9 or 10 at night, I'd tell him to just call me from the driveway to keep the dog from barking and waking up my dad. Other times, we just met up where we were hanging out, or I drove to his house and left my car there if where we were going was closer to there. I met his dad because we did the weekend shore thing, but that wasn't really an On Purpose meeting... it just so happens that his dad owns the house, but really Alex and I just went to chill down the shore.

I've been trying to avoid the whole Meet the Parents thing-- you know, big dinner with Mom and Dad where all eyes are on Alex and he has to keep trying to say things that will impress them, charm them, and ensure them that he is not out to break my heart. I wanted it to just be causal. Kind of a Hey here is Alex, why don't you talk to him for a few minutes, and isn't he cute and now we must be on our way as we've got something very exciting to go do.

Yeah, well that never ended up happening and now I have my own place, and there is absolutely no reason for Alex to meet my parents other than the sole reason of Alex Meeting My Parents. Mom has threatened that if she doesn't meet him sometime this week, she will stalk us at the airport before we leave for St. Maarten because what if I don't come back and she has to tell the police I don't know who she went with or what he does or what his name is or what he looks like. (She definitely knows at least 3 of these 4... and probably even all 4, as she has seen a pic.)

Yesterday Alison came to visit, and we mooched dinner at my parents' house (ha! My Parents' House! Not mine, as I have my own!!!!), and Alison suggested that my mom invite the two of us (Alex and me) over for dinner. Mom's response: "Or maybe I can just stop by Jess' apartment tomorrow morning and bring them breakfast in bed!!!! [hmph.]" Snarky.

*****

Alex and I went to Atlantic City again on Saturday night, and Alex struck it big this time on the Monopoly slots-- $500 big! Although when you consider the fact that we ate a $100 dinner (hey- most of that was from him- he ordered the filet mignon and two or three coctails as compared to my modest mahi mahi dish and one mango mojito!) and that he kept shoving 20's into the Power Ball nickel slot I was playing because damn it! we want to play the bonus game you stupid casino money maker!, he probably only came out even or maybe $1-200 up. Which is still pretty awesome.

*****

So the description of my blog reads, "Observations and anecdotes of a curly-haired, single, twenty-something special ed teacher who lives with her parents." Except I'm not single anymore and I don't live with my parents anymore, and "Observations and anecdotes of a curly-haired, twenty-something special ed teacher with a boyfriend and her own apartment," doesn't sound so interesting. Y'all are good writers. Any suggestions?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH, the pain of Meeting Parents.

True Story: My dad met my college boyfriend on the eve of a hunting trip so was ACTUALLY CLEANING A SHOTGUN when the boyfriend arrived.

It was awesome.

Invite your parents over for dinner at your apartment. Tell Alex to behave like he doesn't know where everything in your apartment is. "Oh, is the bedroom past that door? I wouldn't know!"

11:01 AM  
Blogger claire said...

ugh... meeting the parents. I was lucky in the fact that i lived with my mother up until the last boyfriend (with whom i moved out with) so it was easy for the meet the parents.
formal family-dinner things are just SO uncomfortable. poor alex. i do not envy him.

(also - wtf? beth had another blog all along?? feeling cheated here, missy... but its nice to know you're not gone.)

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Claire - Well yes, but it's not MINE, really. It's Merideth's.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Beth - That IS awesome! My dad will more likely be sitting shirtless with a beer in his hand and a cigarette hanging out of his mouth...

Claire - I don't envy him either...

7:43 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Ha! Your mom cracks me up. Maybe I will encourage her to get a guitar and we can stand outside in your courtyard and serenade you and Alex?

Fun right?

8:06 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Christine - For you, maybe?

11:55 AM  
Blogger Janie said...

-sigh- living by yourself is grand, no? i absolutely love it. maybe wait until someone is having a bbq so it's not all formal-like and alex can easily (and discreetly) wander away from your parents if he needs to escape.

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home