Getting to knooooow you... getting to know all abooouuuut yooouuu...
Spending a week with someone is a good way to get to know him. But it is also a good way for him to get to know you, as all of your little idiosyncrasies that you may have been trying to hide suddenly just bubble over. In my case, Alex got a few big doses of my air-headedness.
Example the First
The Boy's Reaction: "But your apartment isn't like this..." My Response: "Yet."
* Did I mention we were serendipitously upgraded to a suite?
Example the First
While at a bar on the French side of the island, we were given pilsner glasses with our bottles. While I fully realized that this was smaller than a pint glass, this fact somehow escaped me as I poured out my beer. Once I reached the "fill line" on the glass, I thought to myself, "well, the glass is full... surely the bottle must be almost empty," and I tipped the bottle straight upside down to coax out the last couple drops. At which point I dumped half a beer all over my hand and the bar.Example the Second
TheBoy's Reaction: Intense laughter.
A Bailey's Kiss sounded like the perfect dessert one night, as surely when you are stuffed to the brim, you should forego the key lime pie for the Irish cream- and Kahlua-spiked coffee (but do not pass up the sweets altogether, as that is against the Vacation Bible). I knew this drink was going to be a hot one, but when I saw the waiter walking across the room with it on a tray, in a tall, clear glass, all covered in whipped cream, I suddenly expected something more akin to a Starbucks Frappuccino. You can only imagine that immediately going in for the straw and sucking up a huge mouthful of steaming hot liquid before realizing it was hot was not such a great idea. "OHMYGODTHAT'SHOT!!!" seemed like too obvious an exclamation, so I simply sat in my chair wide-eyed and panting.Example the Third
TheBoy's Reaction: An incredulous, "But you ordered a hot coffee drink..."
Breakfast at the hotel was a buffet. On this buffet they had this ham and cheese that, for some reason, we all became obsessed with and had to indulge in each and every morning. On our second-to-last morning, I decided that I would get crazy and make myself an open-faced ham and cheese sandwich. I piled the ham on a piece of bread, and carefully laid the cheese on top. I placed it on the conveyor belt toaster and slowed down the speed of the belt to ensure maximum cheese meltage.
Do you know what happens to the bread when it gets to the end of the conveyor belt? Apparently, it flips over and comes out opposite of how you put it in there. Except when there is gooey cheese all over the top, it just kind of sticks to the back and sliiiiides down, leaving a nice smear of Gouda along the way.
TheBoy's Reaction: A stare of disbelief and a, "That was kind of dopey..."Also, not an example of The Spacey, but my messiness became quite apparent to him, as we shared a room. At the end of the day, his dirty clothes all went into a pile on the floor of a closet, while mine went into a pile on the floor of whereverItookthemoff. Additional messes included, but were not limited to: toiletries all over the bathroom counter, bathing suits hanging all over the shower and jacuzzi, sundry beach items (towels, books, magazines, sunscreen, etc.) around the kitchen area, and bags of candy on the "living room" table.*
The Boy's Reaction: "But your apartment isn't like this..." My Response: "Yet."
* Did I mention we were serendipitously upgraded to a suite?


6 Comments:
ah, see? its good to get the dirty laundry uncovered early in the relationship. it makes for less surprises later on.
i can't imagine he was free of quirks himself... we've all done the cheese on the toaster stuff in some capacity or another.
Haha. Yeah... the boyfriend learned about my ability to tell the same story about twenty times without even realizing it REALLY quickly. Hence the blog.
;)
jess, tell us some of HIS quirks too. i think yours are endearing, don't worry.
christine, i TOTALLY do that all. the. time. it's so embarassing.
Dino - You are true on both accounts.
Christine - Hey, if a story is entertaining once, it'll be entertaining forever... especially if you can find different people to tell it to...
Claire and Janie - It's amazing, but I don't think I discovered anything new about him on the trip, except that he can be really freaking annoying when drunk. But he warned me about that and told me that he is usually on his best drunk behavior when around me.
Jessica, it sounds like you had an amazing time! You crack me up. I love your quirks. Somehow they all seem to have to do with food. I think it's the same for me.
Anika - They ARE all about food! What's with that?!
Post a Comment
<< Home