Friday, September 16, 2005

The Way We Were

It's amazing how almost half a year can go by, and things don't change.

My brother has been in the United Arab Emerates for four months on a tour with the Air Force. Don't let the serene pictures on the website and the fact that the only 20-star hotel happens to be in Dubai fool you into thinking the place rocks. It's still the Middle East.

In the time that he has been gone, I worked as a teacher's aide, I worked as a high school special ed teacher, I got matched up with a Little Sister, I worked as a nanny, I kinda finished grad school, I started a real job as a 3rd grade teacher, I dated a few people... You know, I did stuff that kind of changed me.

I spent all of yesterday telling people how my brother was coming home from UAE after four months, and how I was so excited to see him. Last night was Back to School Night (more about that later), and I complained that I had to miss picking him up at the airport because of it. I came home exhausted and set up shop in the living room waiting for the big arrival. They took awhile to get home because one of his bags was lost, but eventually

Dan came home.

And he gave me a hug. And he took a shower. And we went out with his friends.

He was standing at the top of the stairs waiting for his ride, talking about how much muscle he gained since we saw him, and flexing his muscles, trying to show off his newly hardened arms, and he said to me, "Jess, why are you giving me dirty looks still, like you used to, four months ago?"

Because some things just don't change.

4 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

Yay for Dan being back! I had no idea! It's been so long since I've been over to hang out with you and the fam. I should fix that. You tell me when. ;)

11:41 AM  
Blogger Janie said...

AW! that is so great that your brother is finally back. and i'm sure that secretly he likes the consistancy that only a devoted (albeit sometimes slightly irritated) sister's dirty looks can bring. *sigh*

12:17 PM  
Blogger anika said...

Exactly. He clearly missed you.

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's probably more excited than you know to be back and see you - seems like the normal sibling weirdness that I avoided by being an only child.

Or alternatively it may be culture shock from seeing uncovered women again ...

Probably #1 ...

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home