Take me out to the ballgame
So I've been holding off on this post because I have pictures on my cell phone of the incident and wanted to share them, except that I lost the CD driver for the USB cord, and can't actually do anything with said photos... so I'm just going to tell you the story until I get help with the pictures, and then I'll post them.
Sunday I went to the Phillies game. I was supposed to meet Dino there at 1:00, and my mom was ushering me out the door at 12:15, claiming I would never get there in time. Except that we live 14.5 miles away from Philadelphia, and I got there in less than 30 minutes. So I was early. And Dino was running late (which I totally deserved because usually I'm the late one). So I go and buy the tickets, and I'm sitting right by the Right Field Gate, watching all the people go by, checking out their Phillies attire, and I get this whiff of a really nice smell (which, in Philly, is not so common). It kind of reminds me of the cabin (my friend has a cabin in the NY Catskills), of the wood stove, of the fire pit... that nice woodsey cedar smell that you can only find on a camping trip that is accompanied by roasting marshmallows.
Except you can also find that smell elsewhere, because right as I'm in the middle of my nature daydream, someone walks by me and says, "ohmygodthere'safire!" And I look to my right, and sure enough, there is smoke billowing out of the little alcove right next to where I'm sitting.
I moved over a couple inches.
Then the guy who spotted the fire sent his wife to get a security guard while he threw a beer all over it. Because alcohol actually puts out fires, contrary to popular belief that it makes them worse.
So the security guard comes over, looks at the burning cedar mulch, and calls for backup on his walkie talkie. And the backup comes over and also stands there staring at the fire. And the two men continue to just stand. People a few levels up look over the balcony and yell, "Hey! There's a fire down there!" And the security guards just stand.
Finally, a guy who works for the stadium comes over and checks it out. It actually was a pretty small fire, and didn't appear to be spreading very quickly. Must have been the beer. But this guy, apparently having a bit more sense than either of the security guys, went and got a big mop bucket full of water and dumped it over the fire.
And it worked! Can you imagine? Who knew water put out fire?
But they still called the fire department. So then I actually had to get up, because about 5 firefighters came, in full gear, truck and all (but no dalmation, which I was kind of disappointed about), and hosed down the entire garden, lest another person flick a cigarette butt into the alcove and the fire start up again.
And then the truck left.
And then my date arrived.
And then the Phillies beat Pittsburgh, 4-3.
Sunday I went to the Phillies game. I was supposed to meet Dino there at 1:00, and my mom was ushering me out the door at 12:15, claiming I would never get there in time. Except that we live 14.5 miles away from Philadelphia, and I got there in less than 30 minutes. So I was early. And Dino was running late (which I totally deserved because usually I'm the late one). So I go and buy the tickets, and I'm sitting right by the Right Field Gate, watching all the people go by, checking out their Phillies attire, and I get this whiff of a really nice smell (which, in Philly, is not so common). It kind of reminds me of the cabin (my friend has a cabin in the NY Catskills), of the wood stove, of the fire pit... that nice woodsey cedar smell that you can only find on a camping trip that is accompanied by roasting marshmallows.
Except you can also find that smell elsewhere, because right as I'm in the middle of my nature daydream, someone walks by me and says, "ohmygodthere'safire!" And I look to my right, and sure enough, there is smoke billowing out of the little alcove right next to where I'm sitting.
I moved over a couple inches.
Then the guy who spotted the fire sent his wife to get a security guard while he threw a beer all over it. Because alcohol actually puts out fires, contrary to popular belief that it makes them worse.
So the security guard comes over, looks at the burning cedar mulch, and calls for backup on his walkie talkie. And the backup comes over and also stands there staring at the fire. And the two men continue to just stand. People a few levels up look over the balcony and yell, "Hey! There's a fire down there!" And the security guards just stand.
Finally, a guy who works for the stadium comes over and checks it out. It actually was a pretty small fire, and didn't appear to be spreading very quickly. Must have been the beer. But this guy, apparently having a bit more sense than either of the security guys, went and got a big mop bucket full of water and dumped it over the fire.
And it worked! Can you imagine? Who knew water put out fire?
But they still called the fire department. So then I actually had to get up, because about 5 firefighters came, in full gear, truck and all (but no dalmation, which I was kind of disappointed about), and hosed down the entire garden, lest another person flick a cigarette butt into the alcove and the fire start up again.
And then the truck left.
And then my date arrived.
And then the Phillies beat Pittsburgh, 4-3.


3 Comments:
I can't wait for the pics! What a rude awakening to such a nice daydream ...
And the firemen? Were they good-looking or what?
yikes! you should film a short made-for-tv movie about it. i would buy it for sure.
and next time remember to take marshmallows to the ballpark, just in case!
Jessica -- you had a newt named Newty Newterson?! This is fantastic! We're like sistas from different ... ok nevermind. Baristas? I dunno ...
Post a Comment
<< Home