Tuesday, September 06, 2005

On the Loss of 50¢ at Target

So I’m in Target today purchasing some items for my classroom, and decide upon checking out that I’m mighty thirsty.  So I’m standing on line at the little Taco Bell/Pizza Hut/carnival food thing they’ve got going there, deciding if I also want a snack.  And there are two girls in front of me-
Girl 1: You gettin’ a taco?
Girl 2: Psssshhhhhhh!  Taco Supreme, girl!
(Girl 1 walks away, over to the table)
Girl 2: (turning around to me) Yougotthirysevcent?
Me: Huh?
Girl 2: You got thiray seve cent?

At this point, within a matter of 1 second, I am thinking in my head, Did this girl who I don’t know seriously just ask me for thirty seven cents so she could buy a Taco Supreme instead of a regular taco?  I know if I only had one dollar, I’d just get something I could afford, like a regular taco, because lord knows I don’t really need the calories in the blob of sour cream that turns a regular taco into a Taco Supreme, and frankly, she doesn’t need those extra calories either.

And then because I am kind of stunned, I say, “Uh, um, 37¢?” and then I take out my wallet and give her 50¢, because I don’t feel like fishing around in all my change to find exactly 37.  And then I get mad at myself for not saying, um, no, I don’t have 37 cents, why don’t you ask your friend, since she obviously just spent some money in this store?

And so the girl orders her stupid Taco Supreme.

Lady behind counter: Oh, we don’t have any Taco Bell stuff today.
Girl 2:  Oh.  Ummmmm… okay, I’ll have the popcorn meal.
LBC: Okay, that’ll be $1.06

Girl 2 forks over a dollar of her own money and 6¢ of mine, and KEEPS THE CHANGE!!!

And yeah I know it’s just 50¢, and it’s not like I’ll miss it, but it’s just the principle of the thing, ya know?  I would never have the gall to ask someone I didn’t know for 50¢ to get something that was not very important (like make a phone call or buy a beer), and if, by chance, the person gave me more than I asked for out of the goodness of her heart, and I did not even use the amount that I asked for, I would certainly return the change.  Even if it was only 44¢.

2 Comments:

Blogger anika said...

Next time you could start yelling at her in slang!

11:47 AM  
Blogger Janie said...

track her down.

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home