Chaos!
Okay, so it's been a two days since the elation of my previous post, and I'm past yesterday's nail-biting stressfullness, and if you are wondering why I'm posting at 6:30 in the morning it's because I'm about to go to Not Work.
Apparently there was a little mixup. Maybe? I dont know. Perhaps?
I was definitely offered a teaching job on Tuesday afternoon. Nothing about the conversation I had with the woman makes me doubt that it was an actual offer, and she said nice things about there being a lot of discussion about the candidates but that the overall feeling was that my heart and head were really in it and Would You Please Come to the Job Training Sessions on Thursday and Friday? You know. For this job we're offering you?
I alerted just about everyone I know to my good fortune, celebrated with a glass of wine, and slept easy for the first night all summer.
THEN: While shopping with my mom yesterday, I received a phone call from the superintendent's office of the same district, asking to set up A Second Interview!!! "I was under the impression I had the job," I stammered. To which the secretary snottily replied, "Well I'm sorry if you got that impression... only the superintendent can make that decision... We have an opening on Monday." "Uh... but I was asked to go to this training..." "Well a meeting with the superintendent is a little more important than whatever training you're supposed to go to!" "Okay, pencil me in at 10... so... should I still go to the training?" *Huge Sigh... I'll have to find out and get back to you."
So hours go by during which I become testy with my mom and some lady at Home Depot who lost my window measurements.
I'm finally called back, and am told that I need to understand that I should not have been told I already had the position, that the final decision comes down to the superintendent, and I am welcome to attend the trainings if I'd like, but that I will not know if I have the job until after Monday.
My mom and some of her teachery and administrativey friends believe this is all just a formality; why would they ask me to attend the training if I wasn't the only candidate being recommended to the superintendent? Apparently only the sup can legally offer a job and discuss salary, but it would be nice if someone would just tell me if this is all a formality, or if I am getting up at 6 to show I am a go-getter by attending a training for a job I may not have.
Also, as if this wasn't all enough to think about, a former coworker who now works for another district searched out my phone number through mutual contacts and called me at home last night in an attempt to poach me from my ex-district. Wasn't she pleased to find out I am actually looking for a position! She has been asked to recommend someone (apparently the candidates they have interviewed thus far are... concerning), and thought immediately of me; she'd love to work with me again; the class sounds really nice, as does the school, and will I come in for an interview?
Oh, and um, Alex's ex-almostgotmarried-highschoolsweetheart works somewhere in the district, possibly in that school, but he's not sure.
...!?!?!?!
And that's where I am right now. In summary: Two possibilities, no certainties, up too early, and SCHOOL STARTS IN LESS THAN TWO WEEKS!!!!! Also: Alex's ex-girlfriend.
Apparently there was a little mixup. Maybe? I dont know. Perhaps?
I was definitely offered a teaching job on Tuesday afternoon. Nothing about the conversation I had with the woman makes me doubt that it was an actual offer, and she said nice things about there being a lot of discussion about the candidates but that the overall feeling was that my heart and head were really in it and Would You Please Come to the Job Training Sessions on Thursday and Friday? You know. For this job we're offering you?
I alerted just about everyone I know to my good fortune, celebrated with a glass of wine, and slept easy for the first night all summer.
THEN: While shopping with my mom yesterday, I received a phone call from the superintendent's office of the same district, asking to set up A Second Interview!!! "I was under the impression I had the job," I stammered. To which the secretary snottily replied, "Well I'm sorry if you got that impression... only the superintendent can make that decision... We have an opening on Monday." "Uh... but I was asked to go to this training..." "Well a meeting with the superintendent is a little more important than whatever training you're supposed to go to!" "Okay, pencil me in at 10... so... should I still go to the training?" *Huge Sigh... I'll have to find out and get back to you."
So hours go by during which I become testy with my mom and some lady at Home Depot who lost my window measurements.
I'm finally called back, and am told that I need to understand that I should not have been told I already had the position, that the final decision comes down to the superintendent, and I am welcome to attend the trainings if I'd like, but that I will not know if I have the job until after Monday.
My mom and some of her teachery and administrativey friends believe this is all just a formality; why would they ask me to attend the training if I wasn't the only candidate being recommended to the superintendent? Apparently only the sup can legally offer a job and discuss salary, but it would be nice if someone would just tell me if this is all a formality, or if I am getting up at 6 to show I am a go-getter by attending a training for a job I may not have.
Also, as if this wasn't all enough to think about, a former coworker who now works for another district searched out my phone number through mutual contacts and called me at home last night in an attempt to poach me from my ex-district. Wasn't she pleased to find out I am actually looking for a position! She has been asked to recommend someone (apparently the candidates they have interviewed thus far are... concerning), and thought immediately of me; she'd love to work with me again; the class sounds really nice, as does the school, and will I come in for an interview?
Oh, and um, Alex's ex-almostgotmarried-highschoolsweetheart works somewhere in the district, possibly in that school, but he's not sure.
...!?!?!?!
And that's where I am right now. In summary: Two possibilities, no certainties, up too early, and SCHOOL STARTS IN LESS THAN TWO WEEKS!!!!! Also: Alex's ex-girlfriend.
Labels: Work


1 Comments:
What. The. Hell.
And what is up with the nasty lady on the phone? I hate that.
Honestly, i wouldn't pay any attention to the fact that the ex-girlfriend might work with you. Totally not something to turn away a job for. Especially with 2 weeks until school. Jebus. How stressful.
Post a Comment
<< Home