Monday, July 21, 2008

More Boring Jabber About Food

Just about the only time I ever wish I lived in the city (aside from the times when I have to refuse "just one more drink" because I have to drive back to my house rather than stumble down the street) is during the summer when I find a recipe I want to try and can't just walk down to the corner market and pick up the ingredients. There is a grocery store very close to my house, but still, a trip there requires getting into an hellishly hot car, maneuvering around the ill-engineered parking lot, and fighting with the self check-out because No I did NOT place something unauthorized in the bagging area! Whining aside, I tend to do a good deal of quick, "just running in to pick up a few things" trips (which inevitably turn into "ugh, this basket is too heavy; I need to go get a cart"). I have learned that if I am working on a new recipe, I should buy more than the recipe calls for, because sometimes I can't stop cooking something until I get it right.

Remember the quest for the 2nd Best Macaroni & Cheese? I made 4 different recipes until I decided next time I'll use Martha's recipe, but with italian breadcrumbs rather than the bread cubes it calls for, and even then, it won't match my mom's. But you know, I'm only looking for the 2nd best.

Last week I made 3 different batches of Blondies. First made this recipe, which didn't rise at all. Then I made this recipe because it was the same ingredients, with the addition of baking soda and powder. Finally, I made the second recipe again, but instead of melting the butter like both recipes directed, I just let it soften on the counter. I also left them in the oven about 15 minutes past the longer suggested baking times. They came out good, but after all of that I decided I like brownies better, anyway. And really, I'd take a good water ice over either.

This morning, I made my 4th omlette in 3 days. I've been working on it since this post, and I have made a couple discoveries.
  • Discovery the First: Although most cooking show hosts tell you to stir the eggs a little when you first put them in the pan (before they start to solidify), I have found that leaving them alone until the bottom cooks keeps the whole thing from sticking to the bottom.
  • Discovery the Second: This seems like a no-brainer, but ratio of eggs to pan diameter matters. 2 eggs in my small pan (the one in which I can perfectly scramble 2 eggs) doesn't work because the omlette gets too thick and the inside stays gooky even after I lift the edges and scrape some of the raw egg to the sides. Same for 3 eggs in my 10-inch pan (though this seems to be the recommended ratio). Today I did one egg in my small pan and it was the best one I've made, though I would have liked more.
  • Discovery the Third: Also seems obvious, but heat is important. Too low and the thing never cooks, too high and the bottom burns. I have yet to avoid a bottom that is just a little more golden than I'd like, but today's was close.
  • Discovery the Fourth: A thin, tri-folded omlette is where it's at. For me, at least. I definitely prefer thin layers to a thick, folded-in-half jobbie.

So there you have it. I am no expert, but making a bunch of the same thing back to back helps me figure out where I'm going wrong and fix it.

Why don't I approach everything this in my life this way??

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger claire said...

i'm sorry, i didn't finish reading your post, but needed to tell you about this recipe for chocolate/peanut butter bars - http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/no-bake-chocolate-and-peanut-butter-oatmeal-bars?autonomy_kw=peanut%20butter,%20no%20baking&rsc=rf_result2

You talking about Martha reminded me that i had meant to look it up for myself after tasting a batch that someone else made. NO BAKE, YO. NO BAKE.

So, so good. Ok, now i'll head back to your mac & cheese post.

3:23 PM  
Blogger claire said...

Why don't I approach everything this in my life this way??

Why not, indeed... i don't know. I don't even approach cooking that way. Good for you for keeping at it. I decided there's just no use in trying to make an omelet because it will always suck. Your strategy is much more productive.

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you ever considered becoming a writer? I enjoy reading your blog. I've read a lot of blogs, and most of them are incredibly self-focused and boring. Yours is much more fun. Think about it.

--Your anonymous friend

9:54 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Claire - That recipe looks DELICIOUS, and I plan to make it when I go to my friend's party next week. It says it makes 2 dozen... I will eat approximately 1 dozen, and let the other guests fight over the rest.

A. Friend - Thanks for the compliment! I tend to think my blog is incredibly self-focused and boring, but I'm glad you think it's fun! I have never considered getting paid for my writing...

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home