Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Confessions

There is a blog share going on, and although I'm not a part of it, I did read a bunch of the entries, and I guess it made me feel like I need to share something important. Below is my own non-anonymous blog share.

I like the act of teaching, but I don't like the stuff that goes with teaching. The planning, the paperwork, the observations, the attempts at parental communication... During my three years of teaching, I often wished I was an aide instead. I wanted someone to tell me what to do; I wanted to work with kids, but go home at the end of the day and have nothing work-related to do until the next morning. I often wonder if the shit that went down this year happened so that I would get out of teaching entirely.

This scares me because I don't know how to do anything else.

Since we have been together, Alex has been talking about starting his own business. He sees this (my jobless days and dead-end interviews) as the perfect opportunity to start something up. He has a good idea, and it's something I would enjoy following him into. If he said that he and his brother were going to start the business, I'd be wholly supportive and do anything I could to help. But the fact is that he still works 12-hour days, and so the start up of this whole thing is going to fall on me.

If I knew how to run a business, I'd be okay with this. I do have the time, and truthfully, I've been a little bored, and if there were an enjoyable way to be spending my time that might earn us a little money, or hell, even earn us a lot of money if we do it right, I would be totally on board. Instead, I imagine stress and panic attacks and although the start-up cost is minimal holy shit what if this doesn't work and then I also don't have a job and now we're really in the shit?

On the other hand, I don't want to ever regret not doing this. I don't want to end up in a job I'm not thrilled with and wish that we had just gone for it, but not be able to quit because we need the money.

I wonder which is worse: To go for it and fail, or to never go for it at all?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never going for it at all. Ten thousand times worse. You can always do something you might regret; not doing something so you don't need to know if you would have regretted it? Awful. Always better to roll the dice.

If you let me in on the secret, I might have advice; I have some friends who run their own businesses. Good luck!

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It occurs to me that even if the business doesn't work out, it may be an excellent excuse in future interviews for why you left your former job. "I started a business, and then decided that I missed teaching too much..."

--Your anonymous friend

7:50 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Sarah - This is true, but I am SO not a gambler! Also, it's more or less an event planning business. I dunno- I have my positive and negative days when thinking about it.

A. Friend - This is an EXCELLENT suggestion!

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home