I always feel like somebody's waaaatching me...
I got to work today with a welcoming email,
Jessica, I will be observing you during reading today. See you then.
Fuck.
So I'm unprepared, my aide is out sick, which sets my kids off anyway, and wouldn't it HAVE to be today that Diego* came in without his meds.
I guess the lesson went okay, if you don't consider the fact that Diego spent the whole time humming, antagonizing other kids, throwing things off his desk, refusing to do work, and giving me dirty looks.
Although those might also be the reasons that my observer, the assistant principal, took him out of my classroom in the middle of the freaking lesson.
I'm not sure if this reflects poorly on me, after all, he knows what kind of kids I teach. But god, I've been stressing about the approch of this observation for over a month, and now that it's over I'm still not relaxed about it.
And hi? To top off a day that just got shittier after that, I got a phone call from the reading coach that a new student moved into district and is considered a "non-reader" and that I'll be getting him. Awesome, because I definitely want to add another desk/air missile in my classroom.
Needing a beer, but not wanting to drink alone.
* I know this isn't in keeping with my whole [Standout characteristic]Kid naming system for my students, but really, this name fits him best.
*****
For the past two days, all I can hear is my neighbor, out on her balcony, smoking and coughing. The coughing is not typical, but god, you'd think a person would smoke a little less when hocking up a lung, for viral reasons or otherwise. And also? Because it's annoying to her neighbors.
Jessica, I will be observing you during reading today. See you then.
Fuck.
So I'm unprepared, my aide is out sick, which sets my kids off anyway, and wouldn't it HAVE to be today that Diego* came in without his meds.
I guess the lesson went okay, if you don't consider the fact that Diego spent the whole time humming, antagonizing other kids, throwing things off his desk, refusing to do work, and giving me dirty looks.
Although those might also be the reasons that my observer, the assistant principal, took him out of my classroom in the middle of the freaking lesson.
I'm not sure if this reflects poorly on me, after all, he knows what kind of kids I teach. But god, I've been stressing about the approch of this observation for over a month, and now that it's over I'm still not relaxed about it.
And hi? To top off a day that just got shittier after that, I got a phone call from the reading coach that a new student moved into district and is considered a "non-reader" and that I'll be getting him. Awesome, because I definitely want to add another desk/air missile in my classroom.
Needing a beer, but not wanting to drink alone.
* I know this isn't in keeping with my whole [Standout characteristic]Kid naming system for my students, but really, this name fits him best.
*****
For the past two days, all I can hear is my neighbor, out on her balcony, smoking and coughing. The coughing is not typical, but god, you'd think a person would smoke a little less when hocking up a lung, for viral reasons or otherwise. And also? Because it's annoying to her neighbors.


3 Comments:
I'm sure your observation went fine, and I am sure that there is just no good way to teach a student who needs medication that he doesn't have. Short of tying them to the desk and beating the hell out of them, I can't imagine there's a way to keep them quiet or still for too long.
And egads to another non-reader. BUT if there is anyone I would just with the job, it would be you.
And smokers generally tend to not be the smartest when it comes to smoking and health related issues.
Hey, what's wrong with drinking alone? ;)
I'm sure it went better than you thought! However, I hereby give you permission to drink beer alone whenever you please.
in the words of kevin costner, "drink and they will come."
no? oh, that must have been something different. but i'm sure it will apply!
Post a Comment
<< Home