How many calories does a sneeze burn off?
5 weeks on The Diet have passed, and this morning has found me 8.6 lbs. lighter than I was on April 3. While I would have liked to lose more (I know, I know, it's only healthy to lose up to 2 pounds per week... healthy shmealthy, blahblahblah.), and I probably could have lost more had I actually followed Diet to the letter, I'm pretty satisfied with what I have done. During these weeks, I have celebrated my birthday, I have eaten some extra buttery popcorn, I have gotten a blueberry muffin and a medium coffee with cream and sugar from Dunkin' Donuts, I have pigged out on candy from my students' prize box, and I have participated in a picnic and a barbecue, including alcohol, without monitoring my Good Carb intake.
I do get frustrated when I step obsessively on the scale each morning, and the numbers have gone up .000654 of a pound from the day before. But it also makes me think about what I ate to make me gain that smidgen, and what I can leave out to make me lose it again. I take the stairs more at work. I think more about going to the gym.
The point is, I haven't been altogether miserable during these last 5 weeks, and I think that's because I've finally realized the power of balance. Sure, I'd prefer to tip the scales in the direction of decadence and indulgence when it comes to food, but that would also tip the bathroom scale in the direction of approximately 1 ton, and I'd prefer to not go that way. Was I totally bummed last night when everyone else munched on the pre-dinner corn chips and dip sampler, and I sat there sipping my tortilla soup, sans the tortilla strips? Sure. But I was also happy to get on the scale this morning and see the progress I have made.
My mini-goal is to lose about 20 pounds. 20 pounds ago, I wasn't thin, and I wasn't at my goal weight, but I still felt pretty healthy and good about myself. For now, that is what I'm striving for. And hey-- I am almost halfway to my goal! Once I hit that 20? Well, anything after that will just be hummus on the raw veggies.

Yes friends, I really am this corny.
I do get frustrated when I step obsessively on the scale each morning, and the numbers have gone up .000654 of a pound from the day before. But it also makes me think about what I ate to make me gain that smidgen, and what I can leave out to make me lose it again. I take the stairs more at work. I think more about going to the gym.
The point is, I haven't been altogether miserable during these last 5 weeks, and I think that's because I've finally realized the power of balance. Sure, I'd prefer to tip the scales in the direction of decadence and indulgence when it comes to food, but that would also tip the bathroom scale in the direction of approximately 1 ton, and I'd prefer to not go that way. Was I totally bummed last night when everyone else munched on the pre-dinner corn chips and dip sampler, and I sat there sipping my tortilla soup, sans the tortilla strips? Sure. But I was also happy to get on the scale this morning and see the progress I have made.
My mini-goal is to lose about 20 pounds. 20 pounds ago, I wasn't thin, and I wasn't at my goal weight, but I still felt pretty healthy and good about myself. For now, that is what I'm striving for. And hey-- I am almost halfway to my goal! Once I hit that 20? Well, anything after that will just be hummus on the raw veggies.

Yes friends, I really am this corny.


6 Comments:
YAY! Good job on the diet.
And I'm even more proud of you for your healthy approach. Way to be awesome ;)
Aw! Good for you! So jealous that you have a positive outlook on The Diet! You seem to really be taking a healthy approach and doing it the right way.
Wish that i was still feeling as excited about getting to my goal. I'm going to needs some more motivating pretty soon from fellow Dieters. It's getting grim.
Christine - Thanks. My "healthy approach" really just means I cheat a lot and make excuses for why I'm not losing faster.
Claire - Make a ticker (tickerfactory.com)! It's fun to watch your little marker move closer to the goal as you lose!
yippee skippy! good work jess! people who don't sometimes cheat on a diet are very boring and horrible. please don't ever become one of them!
your retaining water
In a weight loss program, a split routine is an efficient way to burn calories. Gradual increase with the harder workout at a fairly slow pace and vice versa.
Post a Comment
<< Home