Monday, May 12, 2008

So...

Despite all the detail I've provided about certain aspects of my job and the possible pending non-renewal, the true disfunction within the class-->school-->district has always seemed too overwhelming to discuss. I'm not a talented enough writer to describe what's been going on in a way that truely conveys how awful this year has been for me, so for the most part, I've tried to just discuss the generic parts. The Kid-Bits, the things that made me laugh, the minor, day-to-day annoyances.

Well I'm pretty sure that what happened today will get across the rediculousness of that place.

I guess the proper way to say it would be, "my contract for the 2008-2009 school year has not been renewed." But it was so much more than that. Because instead of just a non-renewal, I have also been replaced. I was told that there needed to be immediate change because of the events that have been taking place with one student, and that I am to continue the last 25 days of my contract at the district middle school as a 6th grade in-class support teacher.

And it was not just me. My aide received similar news about not being re-hired, but in addition, today was to be her last day. Period. They are going to pay her until June, but she is not to return to work.

I am not stupid enough to think they will never find anyone anyone as good as me. I know I am a good teacher, but I also know that there are plenty of other teachers out there who are also good or great or who have more experience with behavioral kids.

I guess my stupidity is shown in the fact that I never thought anything immediate would be done. I didn't think that a group of administrators would make the decision to pull two staff members two months before the end of school from a group of boys with abandonment issues, because that would be insane. I didn't think anyone would find it more sensical to get rid of a teacher and an aide rather than a boy with severe psychological disfunction that cannot be handled in a public school no matter who you stick in there or how many incentives you offer him, because that does NOT make sense. And Jesus Christ, I did not think they would tell me all this at 2:30 on a Monday and expect me to be gone the next day.

I know my last 25 days, despite the learning curve, will be far easier than my last 155 have been.

But I don't think it will be easier for the boys.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger claire said...

wow.

I can't believe they would decide that it was worth turning your class upside down for the last month of school. Does this sound like a parent was complaining? Why else would they decide to do something like that?

And now you have to flood the world with resumes. Ugh. However, you were saying that you wanted to change directions, so maybe this is a gift in disguise? I'm sure it doesn't feel that way, though. I'm sorry Jess. This whole situation sucks.

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's fucked up.

You're better than that and I know you'll find a way to make it all work out in the end.

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Balls, balls, balls. I am so sorry. I don't want to hope they desperately need you back--because I don't know what that would mean for your class--but they screwed the pooch in letting you go. Sucks. I'm sorry.

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home