Thursday, November 03, 2005

Cute and Whifty?

So yeah, at one point I had this “Really Bad Date” story where the guy forgot his wallet and then proceeded to curse and bang on the table about what a fucking shitty stupid shitty fucking idiot he was. And I was all, “dude, chill, I have cash” and pretended like I didn’t care, and I mean, really, I didn’t care in the sense that I was angry or thought he did it on purpose or something, just slightly annoyed that I now had to pay.

And so cut to tonight, when I am taking Heavenly Kevinly* out for a birthday dinner. We get to the end of the meal. The check comes. I snatch it up. I open my purse. My wallet isn’t there.

I am one Smooth Criminal.

So HK is all, “I guess I’ll pay for my own birthday dinner…”

And I have to say, I really felt like a fucking shitty stupid fucking idiot. I wanted to curse and bang on the table… but instead I just tried to look cute and really sorry, and pout a little so he would think I was Cute and Whifty Jess who tries really hard, but always manages to mess up somehow**.

I’m not sure it really worked… I have found that a bad birthday (yesterday) and then a long day at work (today) doesn’t really make for the most charming and go-lucky HK. Still, I think all was forgiven when I forced him to wait outside*** while I ran in and got cash to pay him back for dinner. And so you don’t think he is skeevy or anything, he totally disputed me giving him the money, having some kind of issue about it seeming like I was paying him back for a date, and guys are supposed to pay for dates and whatnot and he tried to stuff the money not-so-sneakily down my shirt, but I insisted that he take it.

And Cute and Whifty Jess always wins.

That is something he has yet to learn.


* Christine’s nickname for him… I wouldn’t use it, except it’s perfect for blogging.
** Like on our first date when I told him to meet me at a restaurant in Center City that turned out to not exist. Oops.
*** So he wouldn’t be subjected to meeting my parents… it was the 5th date… we’re not there yet.

3 Comments:

Blogger East of North said...

Ahh, that's awful!! I had an experience like that last year when I planned a trip into NYC with my then-boyfriend and one of my best friends. I had everything right except when I took my wallet out to organize my city-purse.... well, you get the idea. Even though I paid Chris back by check (because I HAD THE MONEY!), I still felt awful.


In other news, MSN reports the top single places in philly. Guess who was number 5? Eulogy! (nooo, there goes our flirty waiter)

8:27 AM  
Blogger anika said...

That is embarrassing, but really funny (funnier because it didn't happen to me yet). We want pictures of Heavenly Kevinly!!!

1:51 PM  
Blogger Janie said...

yes! we want pics!!
and, fear not, it's not like you are "socially challenged"-- everyone has slip ups. good on him for disputing. he sounds like a good one.

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home