Another Lesson in Slang
But not a lesson from me, though I have been practicing.
The other day I was in the car with my Little Sister, and while waiting in a long line of traffic at the light, I yelled, "Come on, Peeps!!! Let's go!"
She looked and me and said, with all seriousness, "Don't ever say that again."
Me: What? Why? It's just me being corny...
Sis: Just don't, okay?
Me: Why? Am I not cool enough?
Sis: No, it's not that. You're cool an' all... you just shouldn't say that.
Me: Is it because I'm white?
Sis: No. *sigh* You know the Bloods and the Crypts?
Me: Yeah...
Sis: Well if you ever say that, and they hear you, they'll jump you.
Me: In Cinnaminson?
Sis: It doesn't matter where. Same with "How's it poppin'?" and "How's it crackin'?" Don't ever let anyone hear you say either of those things.
Me: Good to know.
Just thought I'd pass on the wisdom of this 10 year old, who apparently knows way more about the ways of the world than I do.
The other day I was in the car with my Little Sister, and while waiting in a long line of traffic at the light, I yelled, "Come on, Peeps!!! Let's go!"
She looked and me and said, with all seriousness, "Don't ever say that again."
Me: What? Why? It's just me being corny...
Sis: Just don't, okay?
Me: Why? Am I not cool enough?
Sis: No, it's not that. You're cool an' all... you just shouldn't say that.
Me: Is it because I'm white?
Sis: No. *sigh* You know the Bloods and the Crypts?
Me: Yeah...
Sis: Well if you ever say that, and they hear you, they'll jump you.
Me: In Cinnaminson?
Sis: It doesn't matter where. Same with "How's it poppin'?" and "How's it crackin'?" Don't ever let anyone hear you say either of those things.
Me: Good to know.
Just thought I'd pass on the wisdom of this 10 year old, who apparently knows way more about the ways of the world than I do.


5 Comments:
What if I'm referring to the Easter candy? Is that safe?
shoots! (as my ESL friend insists on saying). i'm going to have to re-train myself not to say that.
well, ff jen, at least you don't have an older-generation-family-member-who-shall-remain-anonymous who insists on calling dumb jokes and the like "boners." THAT is horrifying-- especially in public!
yipes! man, I am so dead. AND I'm wearing red. do you think I get in trouble with the bloods or the crypts if I say "peeps"...? hmmm... do you think if it's anti-crypt, but I'm wearing red the bloods won't kill me? I'm sticking to purple and my overly white lingo from now on in.
Not to be nitpicky or anything, but it's Crips, not Crypts.
Jeez, my ignorance of gang culture has no limits!
Post a Comment
<< Home