Saturday, January 03, 2009

Fangs

When the whole Harry Potter craze started, I thought it was stupid and resisted reading the books for quite some time. Then my college roomie (hi Meg!) was given the first one for Christmas, and she read it, and she made me read it, and thus began a love affair.

I kind of thought the same thing would happen with the Stefanie Meyer Twilight series. I decided I was not going to read it, but then a coworker left an audio copy of the book in the faculty room with the sign "Anyone care to listen?" and I figured, eh, it's free, I can listen during my commute, TONS OF PEOPLE LOVE THIS BOOK IT CAN'T BE ALL THAT BAD!

People, I freakin hated this book. It is possible that the narrator's annoying voice and the awful way she said the protagonist's name, "Beh-lah," set me up not to like it from the very beginning. Maybe had I actually read it instead of listening to it, I would have liked it better. But honestly, I couldn't stand Bella as a character, and I spent the entire book thinking, "Jesus Christ just BITE HER ALREADY!!!!!"

I thought the book was corny and poorly written. I am actually a little upset that my mom just read it and then rushed out to get the next book in the series! Having no one to make fun of this book with bums me out big time.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger claire said...

I got the first 2 books for TheBoy's 13 year old daughter for Christmas/Hanukkah only to find that she's already got the first one. So that means I can read it now.
I didn't care about Twilight until EVERYONE, EVERYONE said how addictive it is. I was the same way about Harry Potter. I thought it was dumb and ignored it and everyone thought i was crazy.

I don't know if i can ignore the Twilight thing, though. They just sound ridiculous and i have to see for myself...

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Twilight is the Sarah Palin of vampire lit. I have goth friends who won't speak its name--they told me to read this instead.

9:31 AM  
Blogger anika said...

I hated -- HAAAATED -- Twilight. And everyone loved it so I kept reading just in case it got better. But let's face it, it just sucks. I hated Bella too. She was annoying and whiny and her clumsiness was anything but endearing. Thank you for sharing my annoyance!!

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home