Dog Cookies and People Cookies
Alas, that is when I stood on my tippy toes to check the box, and came across the unfortunate view of mouse poop. Lots of it. Allllll on top of the garage fridge.
I think we all know where the cookies went now, don't we?
When I called my dad to shriek about the whole situation (Alex is working and didn't answer his cell), he gave me several options, as follows:
- Sticky pads... but then you might have to deal with finding a live one stuck to it.
- Trap... with the same drawback as above, unless you get a humane trap, in which case you have to find a place to let the mouse go where it won't just return to your house.
- Poison... which "eats them from the inside out," (ugh) causing them to look for water, which will be outside, which will mean they are not in your house.
- Keep putting food in the garage. This will not get them out of the garage, but it will keep them out of your house, since they won't need to search for food elsewhere.
He then continued to run through a number of scenarios in which: the baby mouse was able to return to the nest (that he imagines to be under my deck) toting an entire Milk Bone and filled with pride; the father mouse carries back one under each arm, which is difficult, but he has responsibilities to provide for his family, so he trudges along; one thousand mice make a sort of assembly line from under my deck to the top of my fridge, passing along one at a time until the entire bag is empty.
I am dreading the whole capturing process, because Alex is a Girly Man, and it is almost certain that he will refuse to take care of any kind of creature, dead or alive. You may not believe me (though I imagine if you know Alex, you will), but he actually makes me kill the bugs and empty fuzzy leftovers into the garbage desposal. I assure you that dealing with the mice will be the same.
*****
Not that you want to read about mice and then read about cookies, so sorry about this. You can come back later to read this part if you want.
When I laid eyes on this recipe for Crispy Salted Oatmeal White Chocolate Cookies, I knew I'd have to make them. However, the recipe calls for flaked sea salt. This is not easy to find. I have found fine, crystallized sea salt. I have found flavored sea salt. I have found sea salt grinders. I have not been able to find it flaked, except online. And if you think $8-10 + shipping is a lot for salt, when you will only use two to three flakes per cookie, I would tend to agree with you.
A Crispy (Unsalted) Oatmeal White Chocolate Cookie sounds delicious, too. So, I decided to go ahead and make them anyway, sans flaked sea salt. (Are you tired of me saying, "sea salt," yet? Sea salt. SEA SALT! SEASALTSEASALTSEASALT!!!!!)
Anyway, they aren't that good. Kind of plain, honestly. And I don't know that the FSS (you're welcome) would have saved them. I mean, the people on that site raved about these cookies, so maybe it would have... Maybe that was just what these cookies needed to pull them out of Blahland and into MmMmMM!land. But now that I've had them this way, it's out of my system, and I'm not so anxious to try it again.


4 Comments:
If i were you, i would go for the regular, standard trap. Glue traps are horrifying and inhumane (at least as far as i'm concerned - i mean they get stuck and then starve to death, unless you find them before that happens and they're alive and possibly screaming, or even better? They chew their own leg off to escape. NO THANK YOU.) Standard traps are fast and then you pick the whole thing up with a plastic bag and throw it away.
I hear you on the girly-man thing. When i first found mouse evidence in my house (EW) the boyfriend said something stupid like, "well, how many of them are there?" I told him they travel in families of four, so it's really not a big deal. HOW THE HELL DO I KNOW HOW MANY THERE ARE? THERE COULD BE HUNDREDS.
Stupid, awful home-ownership.
(btw - word verification is "saving". I'm not sure what they're trying to say.
You know, if you give a mouse a cookie....
Claire - We went out that night and ended up with little poison pouches... but if they are not working, standard trap sounds like the way to go...
Anon - Ohhhh, shit...
Ugh. I HATE unwelcome critters. Go with the traps, it may be nasty, but whatever works!! Girls should definitely not have to deal with these things. Maybe you should get/borrow a cat!
Post a Comment
<< Home