More Dog Stuff
So remember how a couple weeks ago I was all, "Take That, Vet Office Lady!" because I asked her if Marley's hair loss was due to her parasite, and she said no, and I found information to the contrary online?
Um, Marley has Mange.
I feel so bad for her. When I took her to the vet on Wednesday night, they knew immediately when they saw her. Still, they did several skin scrapings to be sure. I am tempted to put the word "scrapings" in quotes, because a scrape sounds harmless and does not convey what they actually did, which was pin her down and use a razor blade to remove samples of her skin. It made me want to cry.
It turnes out that the type of mite she has is not really contageous to humans or other dogs... she most likely got it while nursing, and the reason the hair loss only started to show recently was because her immune system was down from her initial set of vaccines.
The treatment sounds aweful, and I am dreading it. In addition to the disgusting-smelling pill I am throwing into her food bowl twice a day, we are going to have to do a "dip." There are several steps to this process. We have to start by putting protective drops into her eyes. Then we have to wash her with a special shampoo, and towel dry. Then we have to mix a dropperful of what is essentially an insecticide with a half gallon of water and pat her down with spongefulls of it until it is all gone. They said it smells terrible and that it should be done in a well-ventilated place and that we need to wear rubber gloves! I have to protect my skin from the stuff I am putting all over my dog! She then has to air-dry... She is so skinny and she is going to have to be in a room with an open window and it is freezing outside and I can't even bundle her up in a towel. I am also told that because it is such a strong chemical, she will seem like she is drunk for a couple days. OMG!!! We have to do this four times, too!
I can't believe the difference between getting a dog from a reputible breeder and getting a dog from someone who apparently went to some shady-as-shit operation where they leave out parasite-infested water and their breeding dogs have mange. Coconut came with papers to which all of the labels from her vaccines had been attached. I don't even know Marley's birthday.
Um, Marley has Mange.
I feel so bad for her. When I took her to the vet on Wednesday night, they knew immediately when they saw her. Still, they did several skin scrapings to be sure. I am tempted to put the word "scrapings" in quotes, because a scrape sounds harmless and does not convey what they actually did, which was pin her down and use a razor blade to remove samples of her skin. It made me want to cry.
It turnes out that the type of mite she has is not really contageous to humans or other dogs... she most likely got it while nursing, and the reason the hair loss only started to show recently was because her immune system was down from her initial set of vaccines.
The treatment sounds aweful, and I am dreading it. In addition to the disgusting-smelling pill I am throwing into her food bowl twice a day, we are going to have to do a "dip." There are several steps to this process. We have to start by putting protective drops into her eyes. Then we have to wash her with a special shampoo, and towel dry. Then we have to mix a dropperful of what is essentially an insecticide with a half gallon of water and pat her down with spongefulls of it until it is all gone. They said it smells terrible and that it should be done in a well-ventilated place and that we need to wear rubber gloves! I have to protect my skin from the stuff I am putting all over my dog! She then has to air-dry... She is so skinny and she is going to have to be in a room with an open window and it is freezing outside and I can't even bundle her up in a towel. I am also told that because it is such a strong chemical, she will seem like she is drunk for a couple days. OMG!!! We have to do this four times, too!
I can't believe the difference between getting a dog from a reputible breeder and getting a dog from someone who apparently went to some shady-as-shit operation where they leave out parasite-infested water and their breeding dogs have mange. Coconut came with papers to which all of the labels from her vaccines had been attached. I don't even know Marley's birthday.
Labels: Dog


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home