Friday, May 27, 2005

Feeling Scrappy

So I don't know if any of you* scrapbook, but I figured that if there are knitting blogs, there are probably scrapbooking blogs, and maybe this will be one of them.
Scrapbooking, for those of you who don't know, is like making a decorative picture album. Sounds pretty simple, but au contraire, it is actually very frustrating! I mean, it's fun, but I've spend tons of time sitting and working on a page, only to tear it apart because I don't like the background paper I chose or the layout of the picures. So anyway, that's the boring part. The fun part is coming right... about... NOW!

When you scrapbook, as hard as you try not to let it permiate every aspect of your life, you will begin to think of your life in terms of scrapbooking. For example, you might be sitting there one day, and your boyfriend will say to you, "I think the guys and I are going to have a Memorial Day picnic." And you say, "Oh that'll be fun," all the while thinking in your head Yes!! I just bought that cute picnic embellishment set, that will make SUCH a cute page! I'll have to make sure to get some good pictures, and of course a group shot. I wonder if I have any good paper? I'll probably have to take a trip over to Michael's and see if they have maybe a good grass paper or something. Or maybe I'll just call Jess and we can go to Scrapper Nite at the scrapbook store... hmmmm...** And you might even have thought, while you were at the store Man, this is such a cute embellishment set. Maybe I'll have a picnic this summer so I can use it. Because scrapbookers like to plan events so that they will have something to scrapbook. Now that your boyfriend is having a picnic, you don't have to feel stupid about creating an event around a scrapbook page idea. The page is totally occuring around the event. This time, anyway.

And so this Scrapper Nite my anonymous friend thinks so fondly of is a night at a scrapbook store where they have a bunch of tables set up and you can go and use all of their equipment--computer, die cut machines, paper trimmers-- and create your pages right there. If you need to buy anything, you're right in the store. You pay some money, they give you pizza and soda. There are actually lots of people there, and you can get a lot of really good ideas by checking out other people's stuff or looking a the sample pages around the store, or, if you're feeling completely desparate, asking the ladies who work at the store to help you (but that's cheating). But the thing about Scrapper Nite is that they occur from 6pm-midnight on Fridays and Saturdays.

So your friend might call you at 8pm on a Saturday night and ask what you're up to, and you'll have to say, "Sorry, can't talk now... I'm scrapping!" And she'll tell you you're weird because everytime she calls, you're at some Tupperware party or something.*** And the other thing about it being on weekend nights is that you feel like a loser planning to go. If, say, you're sitting home, and your friend calls and asks what you're up to, and you say that you are up to absolutely nothing, and your friend says, "Well then you want to go scrapping?" it's okay to say yes, because at least you're getting out of the house and not sitting watching Law & Order: SVU reruns with your Mom. On the other hand, what if you decide to go scrapping a couple weeks early? And then your friend, not the one who is going scrapping with you, but a different friend who does not scrapbook, calls you to see if you want to go to some really cool and trendy club in The City****, and you have to say, "No thanks, I made plans weeks ago to go scrapbooking tonight. Can't back out now!" Yeah, then you'd feel like a loser. And just so you know, this hasn't happened to me yet. I'm still a slightly un-loserish scrapbooker...

despite the fact that I am blogging about scrapbooking at 11pm on a Friday night...



* "any of you" being the 3 people I know read my blog, and who I also know don't scrapbook... except for Melissa. (Hi Mel!)
** This is from an actual train of thought. I won't embarass my friend by telling you whose train of thought it is. Excuse me, I have to cough... Ahhkellychem!
*** Totally Maggie
**** Totally Philly

2 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

Oh Jess...you scrapbooking fool. I love that we're old ladies...what was the quote, "Between you and your Minoxidil (Which I've been too scared to try) and me and my ear wax!"...goodness.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Whinger said...

Awesome. I love this, and have totally had that train of thought.

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home