Thursday, May 26, 2005

The One With the Poems

So during college we went to a bunch of shows, both for fun and for theater class, which was fun when we weren't actually in class and were out seeing shows. And of all the shows I saw, I think I was most pleasantly surprised by Russell Simmons Def Poetry Jam. I've never been much of a poetry fan, but this show really opened my mind to it. The poems were rhythmic and clever and funny... in short, they were just awesome. So these are two of my favorites. I'm not sure what the copyright laws are or anything, but just so you know I cited them, they're from the Def Poetry Jam book that came out, which has all of the poems from the show, as well as additional poems by each poet in the show.

Money
by Poetri

My money has been acting funny lately
all I ever did was love her!
maybe too much!
'cause now it's like we ain't cool no more

I got more than a hunch she's playing me
trying to make me jealous,
hanging out with other fellas
always in some other brother's pocket!

I try and tell her those other guys
are just using her!
"They just using you money!!!"
she don't wanna hear me
she won't even return my phone calls!
she doesn't even stop by my crib like she used to
she won't go to the movies with me
she won't even go get nothing to eat!
and you know a brother can't eat... without money!

there's only so much bread and water I can take.
call me spoiled, I remember the days
when people used to see us at the hottest clubs
the expensive restaurants,
all the high priced stores
I made sure I looked good with money!
I treated you right! I never abused you!

Did I? Money, did I abuse you?
did I get used to you hanging around and
now you're giving me a taste of what it
feels to live like without you?
People still think we're tight
they still ask about you.

Ever since Money hasn't been around
I feel like I'm losing my other friends too
American Express, Visa, Discover,
now they're acting starting to act shady!
I think she's spreading lies on me!
I tell you
I don't know what I did
but my money's been acting funny lately
and I don't know her anymore
and my life ain't the same
never will be the same
until Money comes back into my life
so if you see her or any of her cousins
let her know that I miss her
I love her, and I want her to come home.




Full Figure Potential: A Fat Girls Blues
by Georgia Me

Out of money looking for a snack
Then I see little Debbie's face on a pack
Smiling enticing me inviting me to have a taste
With haste I race to the destruction of my waste
As the sugar sets in so does the disgust I
feel
Wishing I had the power of will or hoping someone
Would kill this gluttonous
Monster which rules my eyes
Which is bigger than my stomach so we fill
my belly
with pies and cakes
by-products additives and other shit
It's hard for me to quit sweets are a quick hit
My diet includes fried everything all kids of pork
People asking if I've been visited by the stork
See it's looked at as a sin to be fat without children
or a medical condition
So it leaves a girl fishing
Looking for an excuse to stop
the abuse
I endure everyday in every way through ridicule and
personal shame
Unwanted attention and fame from the group of young
men who holler "Big Drawers"
as I pass by I start to cry the wind dries my eye
But nothing can heal this scar left on my esteem
Praying this ordeal is a dream or better yet
a nightmare
For it's too hard to bare this constant scare as
my reality. A complete
disregard for humanity
Not seen as humane more like insane or having no
self control
She can't even pass up a jelly roll
Not seen as beautiful. Look at the folds and gut the
cellulite thights and out of shape butt
Not seen as strong "She can't go long She'll be
down before the end of the song"
My personal demons are hard by themselves
Comparisons to pigs, elephants and whales
You might look at me and see lazy and weak giving
no second thought that
before you an angel may speak
God said
Love who you are be the best that you can be
Your spirit will soar and the whole world will see
Your strength your beauty and your heart
The ignorance of others won't pierce like a dart
I know at times I may get knocked down or even
doubt my ability
But I'll look in the mirron and say I'm wonderful
With humility
Now we're supposed to respect everyone with
Different choices beliefs and hues
But who gives a dam about a fat girls blues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home